Southern League Cup 2010/11

2010/11 Southern League Cup Winning Squad Photo

After one of the greatest seasons in Keys Park history, the Pitmen maintained their form as one of the leading teams in the Southern League by disposing of Banbury, Leamington, Stourbridge and Chippenham to reach the final of the Southern League Cup.
The Pitmen were runners up in the Competition in 1987, and after Hemel Hempstead took the lead in the first leg, it was feared that Pitmen may miss out on the title again. Not this team though. Darren Campion and Kyle Patterson scored second half goals to give the Pitmen the lead ahead of the second leg at Keys Park. An assured Keys Park display saw goals from Chris Clements (2) and Marvin Robinson comfortably defeat Hemel Hempstead giving the Pitmen their first piece of Silverware since 2009.

Road to the Final
Date Rd H/A Opponents Result
23rd Nov 2010 2 H Banbury Utd W 2-0
11th Jan 2011 3 A Leamington W 1-0
8th Feb 2011 QF H Stourbridge W 4-2
1th Mar 2011 SF A Chippenham Town W 1-0
5th Apr 2011 Final 1 A Hemel Hempsted Town W 2-1
23rd Apr 2011 Final 2 H Hemel Hempsted Town W 3-0

Hednesford Town 3-0 Hemel Hempstead Town (5-1 agg)

Southern League Cup Final 2nd Leg – Tuesday 12th April 2011 – Keys Park, Hednesford

Hednesford were crowned Red Insure Cup champions with a convincing 3-0 win against Hemel Hempstead Town at Keys Park.

Chris Clements was the best player on the pitch and weighed in with the first two goals.
The ex-Crewe midfielder opened the scoring on 38 minutes with a brilliant finish from 20 yards after a one-two with the impressive Kyle Patterson.

And Clements secured the cup with eight minutes to go, calmly lobbing the Hemel Hempstead goalkeeper before substitute Marvin Robinson started the joyous celebrations with a close-range header in stoppage time.

The Pitmen were deserved winners over the two legs as Hemel Hempstead attempted their attractive passing game but failed to really trouble a sturdy Hednesford defence led by the inspirational Cheyenne Dunkley.

The only occasion attacker Marvin Williams troubled Hednesford’s backline came when the pacy striker stole a yard on Dunkley, only for him to snuff out the danger with a superb saving tackle on the half-hour.
Patterson had threatened early on as Mike McEntegart scuffed his clearance and Nick Wellecomme saw his long-range shot blocked, before the in-form striker curled the follow-up over.

The second goal gave manager Rob Smith the opportunity to rest Patterson and Clements for the huge final three league games and the inspirational duo received a deserved standing ovation from the bumper crowd.

Robinson’s late header sparked mass celebration on the terraces and, as the Pitmen lifted the cup, nerves over a tense final run-in in the league were forgotten for one night.

Hednesford Town (5-3-2): Crane, Dunkley, Francis, Keenan, Bailey, Melbourne, Clements (Decio Gomes, 90), Davidson, Denny, Wellecomme (Robinson, 74), Patterson (Quinn, 74).
Substitutes not used: Arrowsmith, Ellison

Hemel Hempstead Town (4-4-2): Mike McEntergart, May, Blake (French, 71), Parsons, Gilbert (Manuella, 71), Hewit (Pooley, 90), Matt McEntegart, Wilson, Fenemore, Williams, Pearce.
Substitutes not used: Butler, Smith

Hemel Hempstead Town 1-2 Hednesford Town

Southern League Cup Final 1st Leg – Tuesday 5th April 2011 – Vauxhall Road, Hemel Hempstead

A goal made by the vision of Chris Clements and the quality finishing of Kyle Patterson secured a goal advantage for The Pitmen in the first leg of the Red Insure Cup at Vauxhall Road.

After a quiet start which gave the Hednesford Town supporters opportunity to get into the ground following an arduous journey down the motorway, Ben Bailey saw his header disallowed for infringing during his challenge for the ball on twenty-two minutes.

Hemel Hempstead opened the scoring six minutes later when David Pearce travelled, unopposed with the ball, across the penalty area and rifled a shot into the right hand corner past Dan Crane.

The Pitmen reacted well to their setback and equalised on thirty-two minutes when Nick Wellecomme headed Alex Melbourne’s cross against the post, Patterson saw his rebound superbly blocked on the line but Darren Campion followed up to rifle the ball into the net.

The second half saw Hednesford contain their hosts and The Pitmen could have taken the lead on fifty-five minutes when first Ross Davidson and then Wellecomme both saw shots blocked well by Mike McEntegart when through on goal.

The winning goal came on sixty-four minutes when Clements found the run of Patterson and the striker capped a man of the match performance with an assured finish.

Hemel Hempstead pushed hard to equalise the tie but the closest the home side came was with four minutes to go when Bruce Wilson’s fierce long range shot forced an awkward save from Crane.

The Pitmen saw out the victory and Rob Smith will feel confident that his side can defend a goal advantage in the second leg to secure a moral-boosting victory at Keys Park next Tuesday to aid their fight for promotion.

Hemel Hempstead Town (4-4-2): Mike McEntergart, May, Parsons, Butler, Wadieh, Matt McEntergart, Manuella (Blake, 80), Wilson, Fenemore, Williams, Pearce.
Substitutes not used: French, Pooley, Gibson, Smith

Hednesford Town (5-3-2): Crane, Dunkley, Campion, Keenan (Francis, 60), Bailey, Melbourne, Clements, Davidson, Denny, Wellecomme (Ellison, 70), Patterson.
Substitutes not used: Arrowsmith, Quinn

Pitmen in Prose