Tonight's Birmingham Senior Cup fixture at HOME against Romulus has been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.


Hednesford Town 1-1 Altrincham FC

Sunday 02/02/2014

A stoppage time strike from Altrincham’s Shaun Densmore denied Hednesford Town the chance to move to the top of the Skrill North, after a wonder goal from Kris Taylor had earlier given the home side the lead with just minutes remaining, writes Scott Smith.

On a heavy pitch and in horrible weather conditions a draw was probably a fair result, although Hednesford will be kicking themselves for giving up the opportunity on offer. The opening few minutes were a frantic affair with both sides having chances to take the lead. First Altrincham’s Damian Reeves saw his effort cleared off the line by John Disney after Dan Crane had made a good save from the front man, whilst at the other end Town’s Marvin Robinson blazed over from 12 yards out.

Hednesford were indebted to Crane for keeping the scores level in the 38th minute as he came out well to smother when Simon Richman suddenly found himself through one-on-one with the shot-stopper.

Although conditions weren’t ideal, both teams tried to play football to the best of their ability and two minutes before the half-time whistle the home side should have perhaps been ahead. Following some good football John Disney was played in down the right and his cross found Neil Harvey who should really have found the back of the net from just six yards out.

Seven minutes into the second period, Taylor showed a glimpse of what may follow when his beautifully struck curling effort just cleared the upright as Hednesford pushed forward in search of that opening goal.

With 15 minutes remaining, Altrincham appealed for Paul McCone to be sent off when he hauled back James Walshaw, with the striker seemingly clear on goal, but the defender was only to receive a yellow card despite a free kick being awarded just a yard outside the box.

Seven minutes later there was an almighty scramble in the Hednesford box as Clee got to the by-line and his ball into the box was eventually cleared by Darren Campion for a corner with a host of Altrincham men lurking.

In the 85th minute Town grabbed the opening goal of the game though and one which they thought might have won it. After a corner had been cleared all the way back to Campion on the halfway line, his ball back in found Taylor on the edge of the box and his perfect left-footed volley found the bottom corner of the net.

However it wasn’t to be as Altrincham launched one last attack in the third minute of time added, and with Town not being able to clear their lines, Densmore was on hand to drill home from just inside the penalty area.

Hednesford will be disappointed not to have held out in order to move clear at the top of the Skrill North, however, they will need to lift themselves for another tough game next Saturday
when they travel to Harrogate Town aiming to gain revenge for the 3-1 defeat inflicted at Keys Park earlier in the season.

Hednesford Town
Crane, Disney, Campion (capt), McCone, Francis, Taylor (85), Macpherson (Thompson-Brown 77), Riley (Woolfe 82), Harvey, Robinson (Sullivan 70), Thorley

Subs Not Used
Bailey, Osborne

Altrincham FC
Coburn, Densmore (capt)(90+3), Griffin, Moult, Havern, Leather, Mwasile (Walshaw 63), Richman, Perry (Lawrie 63), Reeves, Clee

Subs Not Used
Rodgers, Wilkinson, Samberg

Booked: McCone, Walshaw

Attendance: 703
Entertainment Rating: 4/5
Star Man: Tom Thorley

Match Action

[slickr-flickr search=”sets” set=”72157640417548505″ sort=”title” direction=”asc”]
Photos by Colin Rogers


Related Articles

Recent Posts