Tonight's Birmingham Senior Cup fixture at HOME against Romulus has been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.


Hednesford Town 1-3 Gainsborough Trinity

Sunday 09/03/2014

A stuttering Hednesford Town side slipped to their second successive league defeat with a 3-1 reverse against Gainsborough Trinity. Although Hednesford remain in third place in the Skrill North, with others around them winning and having games in hand it now means that Town will have to try and turn around their form quickly if they are to make the end of season play-offs, writes Scott Smith.

Despite this it was actually the hosts who got off to the better start with Neil Harvey forcing two good reaction saves from Phil Barnes in the Trinity goal inside the opening 13 minutes. However, as time wore on the visitors came more into it and Dan Crane in the Hednesford goal was forced to make a smart save from Gainsborough’s Jamie Wooton to keep the score at 0-0.

This wouldn’t last long though as in the 24th minute Trinity would take the lead. A free kick into the box wasn’t dealt with by Crane and midfielder Curtis Bateson was on hand to lob the ball over both the keeper and two defenders, into the net.

Within two minutes Hednesford should perhaps have drawn themselves level though. Paul Sullivan did well to get past his defender and the pull-back found Alex Melbourne who saw his left-footed shot beaten away by Barnes.

Rob Smith was clearly not happy with how his team were playing though and made two attacking changes midway through the half as he looked to find a way back into the game. This they managed to do in the 44th minute when substitute Nathan Woolfe got to the by-line and his cross was eventually stabbed home by Harvey following a goalmouth scramble.

The second period saw Hednesford come out of the blocks quickly in search of a second goal and they almost found it when Jamey Osborne won a free kick 20 yards out; but Woolfe’s effort was pushed away by Barnes before being cleared away to safety.

Despite plenty of possession, and the lively play of Charlie Anagho-Ntamark, there was little in the form of clear goal scoring chances for Town, with Trinity continuing to defend stoutly. With 21 minutes left to play Gainsborough would hand out a sucker-punch to the home side though as they re-took the lead. A free kick into the box was missed by everyone except Margetts who controlled the ball excellently with his first touch before firing home past Crane with his second.

As Hednesford threw men forward in search of an equaliser they were caught on the counter when Margetts was played in and he calmly finished through Crane’s legs to round off an impressive result for Trinity and make it a thoroughly miserable day for Town.

Hednesford now must put this result behind them as they travel to North Wales to take on Colwyn Bay next Saturday.

Hednesford Town:
Crane, Disney, Campion, Bailey, Francis (Anagho-Ntamark 35), McCone, Osborne, Melbourne (Woolfe 40), Harvey, Sullivan, Thorley

Subs not used:
Robinson, Thompson-Brown, Lennon

Gainsborough Trinity:
Barnes, Roma, Leary, Davis (Burbeary 58), Howe, Young, Russell, Toner, Wooton (Davie 67), Margetts, Bateson

Subs not used:
Williams, Winfarrah, Batty

Man of the Match: Charlie Anagho-Ntamark
Entertainment Rating: Three Stars
Attendance: 556

Match Action

[slickr-flickr search=”sets” set=”72157642447815195″ sort=”title” direction=”asc”]
Photos by Colin Rogers


Related Articles

Recent Posts