Tonight's Birmingham Senior Cup fixture at HOME against Romulus has been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.


AFC Fylde 3 – 1 Hednesford Town

Sunday 31/08/2014

Fruitless Trip To Fylde For Pitmen …

Hednesford Town’s three game unbeaten run came to an abrupt end at AFC Fylde on Saturday afternoon as they suffered their first ever defeat against the Lancashire based side, writes Scott Smith.

The Pitmen gave a debut to former West Bromwich Albion man James Hurst, following his return from an injury which had been picked up in pre-season. This saw Dominc Dell dropping down to the substitute’s bench with Hednesford making just the one change from the side which had defeated Solihull Moors on Bank Holiday Monday. Meanwhile new signing Malcolm Melvin was also named amongst those on the bench, following his switch to Town on Friday afternoon.

The first half was an even one and although both sides got forward at regular intervals, neither goalkeeper was really tested in the opening half an hour, with both shot stoppers only having to claim a number of crosses which came their way.

In the 37th minute the home side would take the lead though. An inconspicuous looking cross into the Town box was flicked on by Danny Rowe and his looping header found the corner of the net to give Fylde the advantage.

Just when it looked as if Hednesford would go into the break a goal down, they managed to muster up an equaliser as the clock ticked onto 45 minutes. A corner from the left wasn’t cleared properly and Francino Francis’ ball back into the box found Tom Peers who managed to squeeze his shot home into the far corner of the goal.

The second half very much belonged to the home side and they re-took the lead in the 57th minute. Richie Allen broke forward and his ball into the box found Michael Potts who had all the time he wanted to role his effort underneath Dan Crane and into the net.

Ten minutes later the lively Allen got on the end of a corner and drilled his effort just over the bar. He wouldn’t be denied a goal though as in the 75th minute all three points were pretty much secured for the home side. A wayward ball from Hednesford’s Jamey Osborne saw Allen through one-on-one with Crane and he was able to round the goalkeeper and slide the ball into the empty net.

It almost got worse for Town two minutes later as Ben Bailey and Crane between them, managed to clear the ball in-front of goal after Allen had got in around the back.

Despite Hednesford managing to earn a couple of free-kicks in advanced positions, they couldn’t really take advantage of them and it was the home side who almost added to the scoreline. With five minutes to go Fylde’s Casper Hughes drove forward, his deflected effort struck the crossbar and, but for a brilliant reaction save from Crane, it would have been 4-1 as Allen was denied a second goal.

Hednesford will now be looking to regroup ahead of the game against Stockport County on Saturday 6th September when the former Football League side visit Keys Park on Non-League Day, 3pm kick-off.


AFC Fylde: Hinchliffe, Hughes, Sumner, Langley, Hannigan, B Barnes, Tomsett, Potts (Hankin 84), Rowe, M Barnes (Lloyd 80), Allen
Subs not used: Booth, Charles, Dootson

Hednesford Town: Crane, Ashmore (Dell 58), Campion(c), Bailey, Francis, Taylor (Malcolm 58), Osborne, Melbourne, Glover, Hurst, Peers (Robinson 74)
Subs not used: Macpherson, Price

Attendance: 346


Related Articles

Recent Posts