Tonight's Birmingham Senior Cup fixture at HOME against Romulus has been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.


Guiseley AFC 0-2 Hednesford Town

Sunday 15/02/2015

One of the best as Town move back into top four ….

Manager Rob Smith described this result as one of the best during his tenure at Hednesford Town as his depleted side earned a deserved three points on their travels to Yorkshire.

With hosts Guiseley having leapfrogged the Pitmen into the play-off places during mid-week, it looked like it was going to be a tough test for Town, especially with Smith only having 13 fit players at his disposal.

Things almost got worse for Hednesford after just two minutes when Ben Bailey and James Hurst clashed heads, leading to both receiving treatment and being left with bandaged wounds.

Despite this disruption, Hednesford looked the livelier of the two teams with Tom Thorley seeing a goalbound effort cleared just in front of goal in the 16th minute before, two minutes later, Guiseley goalkeeper Steve Drench saved Marvin Robinson’s flicked effort.

The Pitmen wouldn’t be denied though and they were able to take the lead in the 27th minute when Glenn Walker whipped in a free kick which was headed into his own net by Danny Hall.

Two minutes later the lead was almost doubled as Drench made a fine save from Robinson to deny the striker once again.

Although the home side had rarely threatened the Town back line they still had to be wary, as was shown when Liam Dickinson turned his man and shot over the bar from the edge of the box.

As it was, Hednesford held their lead at half-time and continued to press at the start of the second period, with Adam Thomas once again proving a handful every time Town came forward.

On the 60 minute mark the game swung nearly one way and then the other, as first Andy Todd saw his driven effort saved by Drench before Wayne Brooksby found room on the right for the home side, but his cross evaded everyone when all it needed was a final touch.

With Hednesford looking lively every time they came forward, they were able to add a second in the 71st minute when Steve Diggin laid the ball off to Thomas who drove forward before unleashing a right-footed effort into the top corner of the net. This was richly deserved for all the effort he’d put in.

Despite being 2-0 up, Hednesford continued to hassle their hosts at every opportunity and despite Dan Crane being forced into a smart save from Ryan Toulson with five minutes to go, the visitors never really looked in any real danger as they saw out time to record a fabulous away win and bag all three points.

The Pitmen return home to Keys Park on Tuesday evening when West Bromwich Albion Under -21s visit for the quarter final of the Birmingham Senior Cup, 7.45pm kick off.

Tale Of The Tape

Guiseley: Drench, Toulson, Lowe, Hall, Ellis, Lawlor, Brooksby, D Boshell, Boyes, Dickinson (N Boshell 71), Rothery (Johnson 80)

Subs not used: Holdsworth, Hendrie, Dickinson

Hednesford Town: Crane, Hurst, Walker, Bailey, McCone, Thorley, Thomas, Kerry, Robinson (Rushton 90), Diggin (Melbourne 81), Todd

Sub not used: Westwood

Attendance: 550
Star Man: Adam Thomas
Entertainment Rating: Four Stars


Related Articles

Recent Posts