Tonight's Birmingham Senior Cup fixture at HOME against Romulus has been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.


FC United of Manchester 1-1 Hednesford Town

Tuesday 29/12/2015

Hednesford Town picked up a well-deserved point at Broadhurst Park, the home of FC United of Manchester, following a second half goal from Adam Thomas.

As Frank Sinclair looked to build on Saturday’s 2-0 victory over AFC Telford United, the manager was able to name the same starting eleven for the second game running, while midfielder Tom Thorley made a welcome return to the bench after two months out through injury.

It was the Pitmen who would start on top with Paul Ennis seeing a shot blocked before Matt Regan pulled his effort wide of the post from the edge of the box.

Hednesford goalkeeper Dan Crane was called into action in the ninth minute as he rushed out to deny FC striker Tom Greaves who had managed to get in behind the Town back line.

Sixty seconds later a great one-two between Ahmed Obeng and Ennis saw the former in on goal but he was denied by the FC goalkeeper Dave Carnell.

Obeng was in action again after 20 minutes as he stole the ball off Carnell on the goal-line before playing the ball back to Phil Trainer and his shot-cum-cross just missed Kyle Perry at the back post.

Seven minutes later Obeng was played through on goal and the striker composed himself but his shot this time hit the post as Hednesford continued to attack the home side.

This would prove to be crucial as FC took the lead in the 28th minute when Matthew Wolfenden flicked home a cross into the net from six yards out.

It was almost 2-0 straight away but Tyrone Williams made an excellent block inside the box to deny Greaves as the home side looked to build on their advantage.

On the stroke of half-time Carnell was called into action again as Ben Bailey’s snapshot from the edge of the box almost deceived him at the near post.

After a good first half showing the Pitmen knew they would have to keep it up in the second period, although it would start at a much slower pace with Sean Williams’ shot from the edge of the box, which flew well past the upright, being the closest either side came in the first 15 minutes.

FC should really have doubled their lead in the 64th minute though when they broke down the right and the cross into the box picked out George Thomson who skewed his effort wide from 12 yards.

The Pitmen would make them pay as sixty seconds later they were level when Perry superbly picked out Thomas to head home at the back post for his second goal in as many games.

Hednesford were now on top and Thomas was in the action again after 72 minutes when Sean Williams picked him out but he fired the ball over the bar.

Then in the space of a minute first Sean Williams was denied at one end by Carnell before Tyrone Williams made a vital interception for the Pitmen in the 77th minute to deny Greaves.

With ten minutes to go the game had another talking point when one floodlight pylon went out, however both teams agreed to play on. Just before stoppage time, when another set went out, the referee called a halt to proceedings, taking the players off for five minutes as power was restored – with the game being played out to a conclusion in jeopardy at one point.

After returning to the field neither side could force a chance on goal in the four minutes of stoppage time, with both having to settle for a point.

The Pitmen now prepare for their first game of 2016 as they make the short journey down the A5 looking to record a league double over the Bucks.

FC United of Manchester: Carnell, Stott, Thurston, Kay, Smyth, Ashworth, Wolfenden (Daniels 84), Sheridan (Lindfield 68), Greaves, Thomson, Winter

Subs not used: Brown, Brownhill, Walwyn

Hednesford Town: Crane, T Williams, Regan, Bailey, Digie, Trainer, Obeng, S Williams, Perry (Thorley 70), Ennis, Thomas (Disney 89)

Subs not used: Ransome, Todd, James

Attendance: 3,421

Star Man: Adam Thomas

Entertainment Rating: Four Stars


Related Articles

Recent Posts