Tonight's Birmingham Senior Cup fixture at HOME against Romulus has been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.


Hednesford Town 1-2 Belper Town

Sunday 04/09/2016

A late Cohen Bramall goal would prove to be too little-too late as Hednesford Town crashed out of the FA Cup against a Belper Town side from the level below.

A goal in each half for the visitors saw them giant kill the Pitmen who will look back on missed chances which ultimately cost them a chance of progressing into the next round.

The hosts started the game brightly and Ashley Sammons saw a free kick saved in the fourth minute. Alex Steadman almost pounced for the visitors two minutes later though, but he dragged his shot well wide from the edge of the box.

Back came the Pitmen and after breaking into the box following nice link-up play, Simeon Maye saw his effort blocked away for a corner.

Despite the hosts starting strongly it was Belper who would strike first in the 15th minute. A lovely floated ball into the penalty area found Ruben Wiggins-Thomas who was able to apply the deftest of flicks with his head to divert the cross into the bottom corner.

The Pitmen had a chance to equalise straight away when Maye drove forward before picking out George Carline but his effort was cleared off the line.

Carline then took things into his own hands in the 27th minute as he beat four men with a mazy run from the halfway line but then fired well over the bar at the crucial moment.

In the space of sixty first half seconds Hednesford saw two more chances come and go as Carline headed wide before Sammons saw a long range effort palmed away in the 35th minute.

The half ended with Maye heading a corner just wide at the back post as the hosts searched for a leveller.

Hednesford continued their onslaught of the visitors’ goal in the second period and just four minutes into it Joel Logan almost levelled things up only to see his shot blocked at the near post following another strong run.

Carline once again was winning everything in the air and he came close to bringing his side level in the 63rd minute when his header towards goal was cleared.

Seven minutes later the impressive Cohen Bramall got down the left again and his cross picked out Danny Glover, but his toe poked effort hit the side netting.

The home side were then dealt a sucker punch in the 75th minute as they failed to clear a free kick into the penalty area and John Guy was left with a free header from six yards out.

Sixty seconds later the Pitmen wasted another glorious chance as excellent play saw the ball fall to Carline free inside the box, but his shot was blocked by a combination of defender and goalkeeper.

Hednesford did reduce the arrears in the 79th minute though when Bramall once again advanced forward and his low driven effort from a narrow angle found the back of the net.

As the Pitmen pushed for an equaliser it was almost the visitors who would extend their lead as Wiggins-Thomas was denied by goalkeeper Dan Crane.

There would be one last chance for the home side when Maye played a deep ball across to Carline who was only able to turn his effort wide on the stretch – and with that went the Pitmen’s chance of a replay.

Hednesford Town: Crane, Wright (Dunkley 71), Bramall, Maye, Flanagan, Mutton, Singh (Glover 65), Thorley, Logan, Sammons (Geddes 58), Carline

Subs not used: Ransome, Francis, Williams, Rowley

Belper Town: Haystead, Bryant, Guy, Graves, Palmer, Watt, Armstrong, Williams (Gatter 58), Wiggins-Thomas, Hollis (Palmer 85), Steadman

Subs not used: Ball, Constable, Reid, Haynes, Rathbone

Entertainment Rating: Three Stars

Star Man: Cohen Bramall

Attendance: 391


Related Articles

Recent Posts