Tonight's Birmingham Senior Cup fixture at HOME against Romulus has been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.


Stamford AFC 1-4 Hednesford Town

Sunday 30/10/2016

Hednesford Town came from behind to record a comprehensive victory with three goals in the second half to see off Stamford AFC and move into the Second Qualifying Round of the FA Trophy.

The visitors started the game very much on the front foot and almost took the lead in the 11th minute when a corner into the box found Danny Glover who poked his effort towards goal, only to see it cleared off the line.

It would be Stamford that would strike first though with what was their first shot on target of the day in the 19th minute. Simeon Maye appeared to have been fouled in the opposition’s half, but play continued and as the home side broke the ball found its way to Elliot Sandy whose shot deflected off Jim Mutton and into the net.

The lead would last just three minutes as the Pitmen struck back straight away. A Gurjit Singh shot was not cleared and the ball fell to Glover who made no mistake from 10 yards out, finding the bottom corner of the net.

Town continued to attack the Stamford backline at pace and although they managed to get to the by-line on numerous occasions, the final ball failed to find its intended target.

There were two chances in as many minutes just before the break for the visitors with first Maye seeing a shot from 25 yards easily saved before Singh fired a free kick narrowly wide of the upright after he had been taken out on the edge of the box.

HT: 1-1

The Pitmen started the second half as they had done the first period and saw another effort cleared off the line in the 47th minute when Glover headed a deep ball back to George Carline who saw his scrambled effort cleared away.

A minute later the home side saw a great chance to retake the lead come and go as a ball into the box found Grant Ryan, but the ball bounced off the striker and into the grateful arms of Lloyd Ransome.

It would be Hednesford that would strike next though as they took the lead for the first time on the afternoon in the 53rd minute. A long throw into the box was flicked on by Carline to Glover who poked home into the roof of the net.

Singh then saw a shot saved before the Pitmen struck twice in as many minutes to end any hopes of a comeback by the home side.

In the 67th minute a quick throw from Jamie Matthews picked out Joel Logan who put in a teasing cross which home defender Jon Challinor could only fire into his own net under pressure from Carline.

Then came a goal of real quality as some lovely interplay led to Singh playing a one-two with Matthews and the former took the ball on before planting home goalkeeper Sam Donkin on the floor as he tapped home into an unguarded net.

Further half chances arrived for Matthews but he was unable to extend the lead further while with two minutes to go Jevani Brown saw his shot strike the inside of the post for the home side.

It wouldn’t deny the Pitmen an excellent victory though as they put their name in the draw for the next round.

Stamford AFC: Donkin, Challinor, Luto, Hartley, Salt (Batchelor 80), Miller, Beeson, Smith, Ryan, Sandy (Brown 34), Robbins  (John King 60)
Subs not used: Brown-Hill, Keenan King

Hednesford Town: Ransome, Williams, Bramall, Maye, Mutton, Flanagan, Logan (Sammons 74), Thorley, Glover (Matthews 58), Singh (Phipps 76), Carline
Subs not used: Crane, Wright

Attendance: 345

Star Man: Danny Glover

Entertainment Rating: Five Stars


Related Articles

Recent Posts