Tonight's Birmingham Senior Cup fixture at HOME against Romulus has been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.


Warrington Town 1–0 Hednesford Town

Sunday 26/03/2017

Hednesford Town fell to a narrow defeat against play-off chasing Warrington Town in a game with little goalmouth action.

The Pitmen handed full debuts to Blake Thompson, Bradley Peace-McDonald, Jordan Nadat and Louis Danquah who had all arrived at Keys Park in the last few weeks.

In the opening ten minutes Hednesford goalkeeper Dan Crane was forced into two saves as the home side looked to take an early advantage.

Hednesford did have the ball in the back of the net after 11 minutes as Darren Campion’s deep corner hit the post and was turned home but the referee has already blown for a foul on goalkeeper Tony McMillan.

As the half progressed it was an even affair but it would be the home side that would take the lead in the 31st minute.

Right-back Mitch Duggan was given too much time to move forward and he fired in an effort from 30 yards that deceived Crane and found the back of the net.

The Pitmen goalkeeper had to react quickly eight minutes later as former Hednesford man Sean Williams whipped in a free-kick that was tipped behind low down.

Right on the stroke of halftime a big talking point occurred as Warrington defender Evan Gumbs kicked out at George Washbourne after the latter had fouled the centre-half. The officials deemed it only worthy of a yellow card though.

HT: 1-0

The home side started the second half on the front foot and Danny Hattersley had two chances in quick succession with him first firing into the side netting before putting another effort high and wide.

Hattersley had another chance in the 64th minute when he got in behind the Hednesford defence but his effort was dragged all the way across goal and out for a goal-kick.

Two minutes later the home side burst through again as Michael Monaghan beat two players but his effort went agonisingly wide of the far upright.

Just when it looked as if the game would play out into an inevitable conclusion the Pitmen were awarded a penalty in the 87th minute as Tony Clarke beat three men before being tripped inside the area. Up stepped Danny Glover but he saw his low effort from 12 yards turned away by Warrington goalkeeper McMillan.

With that went the last chance for Hednesford to claim anything from the game as the home side played out the four minutes of stoppage time without any incident.

Hednesford return to action at Keys Park on Tuesday evening when Ilkeston visit, 7.45pm kick-off.

Warrington Town: McMillan, Duggan, Askew, Williams, McCarten, Gumbs, Bakkor (Ventre 85), Smart, Hattersley, Sherlock (Vassallo 63), Harries (Monaghan 46)
Subs not used: Codling, Shaw

Hednesford Town: Crane, Wright, Campion, Thompson, Peace-McDonald, Ballinger, Washbourne (Cater 59), Thorley, Nadat (Glover 65), Hutton, Danquah (Clarke 46)
Subs not used: Ransome, Martin

Attendance: 478

Star Man: Blake Thompson

Entertainment Rating: Two Stars


Related Articles

Recent Posts