Tonight's Birmingham Senior Cup fixture at HOME against Romulus has been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.


Workington AFC 1-0 Hednesford Town

Sunday 17/09/2017

Hednesford Town‘s mixed start to the season continued after they suffered a narrow defeat on the road at Workington. 

The Cumbrians won for the first time in nine outings in midweek when they beat ten-man Altrincham at Borough Park and they just managed to bag another three points on home soil against the Pitmen.

A tight first-half brought few chances for either side before Conor Tinnion netted the only goal of the game in the 38th minute.

Anthony Wright forced an early save from James Wren with the Pitmen shot-stopper comfortably saving the striker’s effort from distance.

The Reds finally broke the deadlock when a cross from the left was only partly cleared and Tinnion volleyed home from the edge of the area.

HT: 1-0

Rob Smith’s men improved after the restart with Workington skipper Arran Taylor making a superb block to deny James Lawrie.

The attacking midfielder was unmarked in the six-yard-box but Taylor produced an excellent stretching save as the visitors dominated.

Workington had chances to put the game to bed with Sam Smith’s deflected effort hitting the crossbar and Sam Joel firing over.

Danny Glover was then denied by another excellent save by Taylor with three minutes left as Workington held on for all three points. 

So Hednesford’s frustrating campaign continued in Cumbria, the Pitmen now look to return to winning ways at home to Nantwich on Tuesday evening. 

Workington AFC: Taylor, Simpson (Smith, 69), Symington, Wordsworth, Calvert, Wright, Earl, Holt (Ryan, 71), Allison, Joel, Tinnion
Subs: (not used) Douglas, Rowntree, Mellen 

Hednesford Town: Wren, Platt, Melbourne, Bailey, Mutton, Fitzpatrick (Nadat, 85), Steele (Lyttle, 74), Thorley, Glover, Lawrie, Lewington (Bullock, 59)
Subs: (not used) Martin, Ballinger,

Referee: Mr G Hopper

Attendance: 379


Related Articles

Recent Posts