Tonight's Birmingham Senior Cup fixture at HOME against Romulus has been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.


Halesowen Town 2-1 Hednesford Town

Wednesday 11/10/2017

Hednesford Town were unable to extend their winning run to four games after they came unstuck against Halesowen Town on Tuesday evening.

The Pitmen were forced into two changes from their winning Saturday line-up with James Wren missing out due to illness and Sam Oji suffering from an injury picked up at the weekend – leading to Jose Veiga and Joe Fitpatrick coming into the side.

It would be Rob Smith’s side that would start very much on the front foot as they pushed the home side back, forcing an early corner which was defended well.

In the ninth minute Danny Glover fired in a freekick which was spilled by home goalkeeper Daniel Platt, but neither Edjidja Mbunga nor Reece King were able to turn the rebound home.

The home side should really have taken the lead in the 22nd minute when the ball found its way to Oliver Finney who had all the time he wanted, but from just 10 yards out he fired his effort high and wide.

Just eight minutes later they were in front though when a low shot was fired in and the unfortunate Jim Mutton saw the ball rebound up off him, over the stranded Veiga and into the net.

Their lead was doubled in the 35th minute when a long ball into the box saw Daniel Udoh challenge Veiga, and although there were calls for a foul from the visitors, the striker calmly slotted home into an unguarded net.

HT: 2-0

The Pitmen made a double change at halftime with both Jordan Graham and Joey Butlin entering the field – and the changes almost made an immediate impact after they linked up to find Tom Thorley who fired a shot just wide of the post.

Back came the home side though and in the 49th minute Roland Agbor glided forward and after breaking into the box he saw his shot narrowly miss the far post.

Graham and Butlin both saw efforts easily saved before Hednesford dragged themselves back into the game in the 62nd minute. A ball down the middle of the pitch was picked up by Graham and after cutting inside one defender he curled a low effort into the net from the edge of the box.

Smith’s side were now very much on top and Butlin was denied again in the 67th minute before Thorley saw a swirling effort narrowly miss the goal five minutes later.

Although the Pitmen continued to press, Halesowen were clearing their lines well, without really forcing Veiga into any action at the other end.

A succession of corners would follow for Hednesford in the final throes of the game, with Butlin seeing two chances snuffed out and with it the chance of a share of the spoils.

Hednesford now turn their attentions towards Saturday’s home game against Workington AFC at Keys Park.

Halesowen Town: Platt, Agbor (Lewis 65), Morrison, Finney, Smith (Hill 82), Charlton, Diop (Spray 53), Goddard, Udoh, McAtee, Kelly
Subs not used: Steele, Parsons

Hednesford Town: Veiga, Melbourne, Weir, Bailey, Mutton, Fitzpatrick, King, Thorley, Glover, Mbunga (Graham 46), Collins (Butlin 46)
Subs not used: Steele, Campion

Attendance: 352


Related Articles

Recent Posts