Tonight's Birmingham Senior Cup fixture at HOME against Romulus has been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.


Hednesford Town 1-0 Mickleover Sports

Sunday 29/10/2017

Hednesford Town progressed through the FA Trophy first qualifying round thanks to a late goal from Danny Glover which saw the Pitmen extend their unbeaten run to five games in all competitions.

The home side started the quicker and a nice lay off by Jordan Graham saw debutant Adriel George fire an effort over the bar from 12 yards.

Pitmen goalkeeper James Wren was called into action in the 14th minute though when a stinging effort from Evan Garnett was just turned wide of the post.

A nice move from Town saw Graham play the ball into George ten minutes later and as he ghosted into the penalty area his low shot was pushed behind for a corner by Lewis King in the Sports goal. From the resultant corner Sam Oji saw his effort go wide of the goal.

Joey Butlin fired a high ball over the bar in the 36th minute for Town and although the visitors won a number of corners they were unable to test Wren in the Pitmen goal.


Some lovely interplay from Mickleover in the 49th minute saw the ball find its way to Garnett and with only Wren to beat he ballooned his effort over the crossbar.

In the 57th minute a deep freekick into the Sports penalty area saw Jim Mutton arriving at the back post but his diving header was saved.

Wren was called into action again four minutes later before Pitmen substitute James Lawrie fizzed an effort over the crossbar from 30 yards.

The crucial goal would arrive in the 81st minute, an initial ball into the area was cleared as far as Ben Bailey and his effort fired towards goal saw Danny Glover stretch to loop the ball up and over King and into the net.

Following the goal there was somewhat of a coming together as Sports defender Tom Burgin kicked out at Glover with the Sports man and Alex Melbourne booked for their part in the aftermath.

Five minutes later Glover flashed an effort wide of the upright as the Pitmen looked for a second goal to wrap up proceedings.

All of Hednesford’s good work was almost undone in the fourth minute of stoppage time when a ball into the Town penalty area was cleared only as far as fullback Ben Turner, but his low effort was cleared from in front of goal by Sam Oji.

The Pitmen now await Monday’s draw as they look to emulate the run from 14 years ago which saw them go all the way to the final of the competition.

Hednesford Town: Wren, Melbourne, Campion, Bailey, Mutton, Oji, Fitzpatrick, Thorley, Butlin (Glover 72), Graham (Steele 90), George (Lawrie 72)
Subs not used: Fitzgibbon, Haig

Mickleover Sports: King, Hickman, Turner, McGrath, Mills, Burgin, Dales, Scott (Morris 86), Tyrell (Sayoud 74), Garnett, Phillips
Subs not used: Horne, Morrison, Belgrave

Attendance: 308


Related Articles

Recent Posts