Tonight's Birmingham Senior Cup fixture at HOME against Romulus has been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.


Solihull Moors 1-3 Hednesford Town

Wednesday 06/12/2017

Hednesford Town claimed the scalp of National League side Solihull Moors in the Second Round of the Birmingham Senior Cup thanks to a first half hat-trick from James Lawrie.

Manager Rob Smith decided to shuffle his squad around in the second game of a busy December with Joe Fitzpatrick, Sam Oji, Charlie Gatter, Edji Mbunga and James Lawrie all coming into the starting line-up from Saturday’s team which defeated Farsley Celtic.

The Pitmen made the perfect start to the game as they took the lead in just the fifth minute when the ball rebounded off the crossbar into the path of Lawrie who was able to fire home into an empty net.

Three minutes later Gatter went close to doubling the lead when he saw his header flash inches wide of the Moors goal.

Hednesford would find that second goal in the 20th minute and when an initial shot was well blocked the ball fell to Lawrie who steered his effort into the back of the net to double his and Town’s tally.

Goalkeeper James Wren had to react quickly to deny Moors man Callum Coyle two minutes later before the Pitmen nearly added a third when Joe Fitzpatrick saw his free-kick deceive everyone and hit the post.

Wren was on hand again in the 32nd minute to deny Romario Martin before Coyle’s effort two minutes later was palmed away by the shot stopper.

The home side did manage to reduce the arrears in the 41st minute when Martin picked out Akwasi Asante who fired the ball home past Wren.

Hednesford would take just two minutes to restore their two-goal lead though when Jordan Graham played in Lawrie who placed his shot into the top corner to complete his hat-trick.

HT: 3-1

As was perhaps to be expected the second half started off in a less frantic fashion although the Pitmen could have increased their tally in the 67th minute but substitute Joey Butlin just failed to control a good ball in from Tom Thorley.

The Moors were still pressing for a way back into the game and almost got one in the 79th minute but Ashanti Pryce saw his effort blocked away inside the penalty area.

Meanwhile at the other end Hednesford striker Danny Glover picked the ball up 30 yards from goal before seeing his effort palmed away in the 84th minute.

In the end though the first half blitz from the Pitmen would be enough to see them progress and extended their winning run to four matches.

Solihull Moors: Bannister, Thomas (Hubbins 62), Green, St. Ledger (Pryce 70), Kettle, Chisholm, Murombedzi, Martin, Asante (Hirst 70), Coyle, Carline
Sub not used: Acton

Hednesford Town: Wren, Mendez-Jones, Curley, Fitzpatrick, Oji (Fitzgibbon 76), Gatter, Taylor, Thorley, Graham (Butlin 46), Mbunga (Glover 66), Lawrie
Sub not used: Veiga

Att: tbc



Related Articles

Recent Posts