Tonight's Birmingham Senior Cup fixture at HOME against Romulus has been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.


Stalybridge Celtic 2-2 Hednesford Town

Sunday 18/02/2018

A goal in second half stoppage time from Hednesford Town captain Tom Thorley earned the Pitmen a share of the points against a Stalybridge Celtic side who had produced a late fightback of their own.

Hednesford forced an early chance in just the second minute but Joe Fitzpatrick volleyed wide from the edge of the penalty area.

Three minutes later Matty Wolfenden planted a header wide of the upright as both sides really failed to take a grip on the game.

Connor Hughes drove forward for the home side in the 17th minute before unleashing a shot which forced Pitmen shot stopper James Wren into a comfortable save.

Five minutes later the Pitmen saw a good chance go begging as a James Lawrie freekick picked out Charlie Gatter but he headed wide from 10 yards out.

In the 23rd minute Wren was called into action again when he tipped a Jake Charles shot over the crossbar before the same man was denied again ten minutes later.

It would be the Pitmen that would take the lead in the 37th minute though when a nice one-two between Joey Butlin and James Fitzgibbon saw the latter break clear into the box and fire a low effort into the far corner of the net.

Hednesford suffered two late injury blows as the half came to a close with Callam Mendez-Jones being forced off just before the break while James Lawrie was replaced at the interval due to a groin strain.


Apart from a Charles shot being blocked early on, the second half saw little in terms of goalmouth action in the opening 15 minutes.

Hednesford almost doubled their lead in the 63rd minute when Jordan Graham picked out Reece King but his bullet header flashed just wide of the upright.

Three minutes later Fitzgibbon was denied a second as his cross took a deflection and was just palmed away from on the goal line by Celtic goalkeeper Jack Walton.

After seeing another good chance come and go Hednesford would be pegged back in the 79th minute when a cheap corner was given away and Wolfenden was able to slam home from inside the six-yard box after the set piece was nodded down.

Two minutes later the home side were in front as Hughes nipped onto a loose ball and he found Wolfenden who doubled his tally by firing high into the net from 15 yards out.

Just when it looked as if Hednesford were to be denied, the Pitmen equalised as the game ticked into stoppage time when King picked out Tom Thorley who managed to find the back of the net.

The Pitmen now have a week long break from action before returning to Keys Park on Saturday when Warrington Town visit.

Stalybridge Celtic: Walton, Morton, Honeyball, Brown (Crowley 70), Ashworth, Killock, Charles, Roberts (Wilkinson 77), Dickinson (Hollgate 90), Wolfenden, Hughes
Subs not used: Taylor, Winterbottom

Hednesford Town: Wren, Mendez-Jones (King 42), Curley, Fitzpatrick, Oji, Gatter, Fitzgibbon, Thorley, Butlin (Glover 82), Lawrie (Harris 46), Graham
Subs not used: Bailey, Law

Attendance: 389


Related Articles

Recent Posts