Tonight's Birmingham Senior Cup fixture at HOME against Romulus has been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.


Altrincham 3-0 Hednesford Town

Sunday 29/04/2018

Hednesford Town’s league campaign came to an end with defeat at Evo-Stik Northern Premier League champions Altrincham.

The Pitmen made the worst possible start to the game when they went behind in just the third minute as a low shot was palmed out by Jose Veiga and Tom Hannigan was on hand to fire the ball home.

Altrincham were well on top during the opening exchanges with Josh Hancock blasting the ball over the crossbar ten minutes later when well placed.

As the half wore on the Pitmen came more into the game and created half a chance in the 29th minute when Tom Thorley picked out Anthony Dwyer and he cut inside before firing in a dipping effort that was blocked.

Veiga was called into action again in the 38th minute as the home side broke forward, however the goalkeeper did well to smoother the ball when John Johnston moved into the penalty area.

Right on the stroke of halftime Veiga once again had to react quickly to deny Jordan Hulme.

HT: 1-0

Two minutes into the second half a chance arrived for Town when despite giving away a freekick it was blasted into the back of Charlie Gatter but he could only fire a shot over the bar from 20 yards.

Altrincham virtually put the game beyond the Pitmen in the 51st minute when they added a second. The home side were awarded a freekick inside the area and as the ball was flicked up, Jakes Moult volleyed home from 10 yards out.

Two minutes later it was almost three only for Veiga to make two superb saves and Gatter to make a fine block inside the six-yard area.

Joey Butlin broke the offside trap in the 57th minute with his shot saved at the near post before Anthony Dwyer fired a freekick side of the upright a minute later as the Pitmen looked for a way back into the game.

The home side looked fairly comfortable as the game wore on and although they probed the Hednesford backline there weren’t any clear-cut chances on goal.

In the 71st minute a cross to the far post was narrowly headed wide by Reece King before Hulme was denied at the other end.

Hednesford appealed for a penalty in the 85th minute when Tom Thorley crossed in the 18-yard box but the appeals for handball went unrewarded.

Four minutes later former Altrincham player James Lawrie broke forward but his shot was well over the goal.

In the final minute of normal time the home side added a third goal when a ball through the middle caught everyone out and Hancock was able to control before sliding home past Veiga.

Hednesford now have one final game of the season left when they travel to St Andrews for the Birmingham Senior Cup final against Stourbridge on Tuesday 8th May.

Altrincham: Thompson (Deasy 73), Richman, Hampson, Hannigan, White, Moult, Johnston, Harrop, Hulme, Peers (Bailey-Jones 29), Hancock
Subs not used: Davis, Merrie, Heathcote

Hednesford Town: Veiga, Thorley, Curley, Harris (King 67), Oli, Gatter, Rea (Mendez-Jones 56), Fitzpatrick, Butlin, Glover (Lawrie 60), Dwyer
Subs not used: Bailey, Fitzgibbon

Attendance: 1,856


Related Articles

Recent Posts