Tonight's Birmingham Senior Cup fixture at HOME against Romulus has been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.


Lowestoft Town 2-2 Hednesford Town

Sunday 12/04/2015

Hednesford Town were left with a feeling of disappointment after being denied a victory in stoppage time following their visit to Lowestoft Town – this despite another wonder goal from midfielder Jamey Osborne.

The Pitmen made their first ever visit to Lowestoft with a much depleted side thanks to a variety of reasons. Captain Darren Campion was serving the third of a four game ban, Ben Bailey missed out due to a prior engagement while Tom Thorley, Paul Sullivan and Marvin Robinson were all injured.

After an even start, which saw both sides attack each other from the whistle, it was Lowestoft who almost took the lead in the 19th minute when Chris Henderson saw his header cleared off the line.

Six minutes later it would be the visitors that would take the lead – in somewhat special circumstances. After being awarded a free kick on the halfway line, Osborne looked up, saw goalkeeper Jake Jessup off his line and flighted a perfect dead ball from all of 50 yards over him and into the net.

The Pitmen almost doubled their lead immediately when Andy Todd got down the left-wing and his cross in was fired narrowly wide by Nick Rushton at the near post after 26 minutes.

Hednesford were indebted to goalkeeper Dan Crane for keeping them ahead three minutes from the break as after making an initial save, he reacted superbly to deny Rossi Jarvis when the midfielder fired in a powerful shot from just inside the box.

From the resulting corner Omar Sowunmi saw his header cleared off the line by Lloyd Kerry before Crane punched behind for another corner.

Nine minutes into the second period Hednesford were forced to use their only available fit substitute when winger Adam Thomas was forced off following a clash of heads – being replaced by Steve Diggin.

The Pitmen weren’t dented by this though and they were able to double their lead in the 59th minute. After clearing their lines from a Lowestoft attacking set-piece, Hednesford broke with Rushton who laid the ball into Kerry, with the midfielder making no mistake from the edge of the box.

Within seven minutes the home side were back in it though when a ball in from the right picked out Bradley Woods-Garness and he found the back of the net from 12 yards.

This helped pick the home side up and over the course of the next 20 minutes they put more pressure on the Pitmen which the back line were able to deal with admirably.

That was until the first minute of stoppage time. Just when it looked like Hednesford had weathered the storm, a cross into the box wasn’t properly cleared and Jake Reed was on hand to mishit a shot into the corner of the net to bring his side level.

There would still be one more half chance for the visitors as Osborne won a free kick upfield and his dead ball delivery was just missed by Jordan Tunnicliffe, and with that the hope of three points ended.

Lowestoft Town: Jessup, Ainsley, Haynes-Brown, Okay, Sowunmi, Gaughran (Smith 76), Henderson (Bammant 64), Jarvis, Reed, Woods-Garness, Eagle (Marsden 64)

Subs not used: Mason, Jones

Hednesford Town: Crane, Hurst, Walker, Westwood, Tunnicliffe, Kerry, Osborne, Todd, Rushton, Thomas (Diggin 59), Batchelor

Sub not used: Robinson

Attendance: 615

Star Man: Andy Todd

Entertainment Rating: Four Stars


Related Articles

Recent Posts