Tonight's Birmingham Senior Cup fixture at HOME against Romulus has been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.


Match Report

Hednesford Town 3-2 Boston United

Saturday 05/09/2015

A goal deep into stoppage time from Hednesford Town defender Tyrone Williams earned his side all three points against Boston United who had battled back from a 2-0 deficit at half-time.

The Pitmen were aiming to build on the 4-1 triumph away to Worcester which they had achieved on Bank Holiday Monday as they looked for their second victory under caretaker manager Chris Brindley.

It took the game some time to get going with Town striker Kyle Perry firing over the bar in the tenth minute, while at the other end goalkeeper Dave Parton had to react quickly as Hednesford’s Ben Bailey cleared a ball towards his own goal two minutes later.

In the 28th minute Sean Williams reacted quickly after picking up a poor clearance from United goalkeeper Jason Alexander, the midfielder strode forward before chipping the ball over the bar.

The breakthrough finally arrived on the half hour after an exquisite ball from Sean Williams found Ahmed Obeng and the striker finished with aplomb underneath Alexander.

Four minutes later it was 2-0 when, following a long throw into the box from Bailey, the ball found its way to Tyrone Williams who prodded home from inside the six yard box.

Although the visitors tried to respond, with defender Scott Garner firing wildly out of the ground from the edge of the box, the home team should have been out of sight by half-time.

First Bailey saw a low effort flash wide of the upright before Alexander made a fine save from Obeng and then the goalkeeper was in action again soon afterwards to deny Kennedy Digie, all in a four minute period before the break.

Right on the stroke of half-time came a big talking point as Boston defender Carl Piergianni went through the back of Perry but only picked up a yellow card when it looked as if worse punishment would follow.

Three minutes into the second period Obeng was again denied as his shot deflected onto the post before seeing another effort saved by Alexander with Digie heading the resulting corner wide of the upright.

This proved crucial though as the away side got themselves back in it on the hour mark when Mark Jones fired home from 12 yards after good work down the right-hand side by Jay Rollins who picked out the striker.

Three minutes later they should really have been level when Dayle Southwell broke away but he poked his effort the wrong side of the post.

Hednesford should have wrapped the game up in the 74th minute when Obeng surged clear and although the Boston defender got back the striker was unsure whether to shoot or pass and when he did the latter his ball to Perry was too short.

The home side’s dominance of the game looked to have been undone with ten minutes to go as Boston levelled when Piergianni drilled the ball low into the bottom corner after Town had failed to clear their lines.

Although obviously rocked by this the Pitmen didn’t give up and were able to pick up three points in the most dramatic of circumstances.

As Rollins broke forward for Boston in the last seconds of stoppage time he was dispossessed with Paul Ennis driving forward and playing in Tyrone Williams who, after composing himself, finished superbly with all the poise of a striker to hand Hednesford the three points.

Hednesford Town
Parton, Disney, James, Bailey, T. Williams, Thorley, S. Williams, Modest (Ennis 88), Perry (Robinson 85), Obeng (Todd 78), Digie

Subs not used: Adams, Spencer

Boston United
Alexander, Marrs, Roberts (Friend 78), Stone (Mills 53), Garner, Piergianni, Rollins, Dixon, Southwell, Jones, McGhee (Dowie 53)

Subs not used: Johnson, Ravas

Attendance: 510
Entertainment Rating: Four Stars
Star Man: Tom Thorley


Related Articles

Recent Posts