Tonight's Staffordshire Senior Cup tie, away at Stone Old Alleynians, has been called postponed. We will advise everyone of the rearranged date in due course.


AFC Telford United 1-3 Hednesford Town

Wednesday 27/01/2016

Hednesford Town earned a big three points at relegation rivals AFC Telford United last night thanks to a second half comeback which saw them record their first league double of the season.

The Pitmen should have been ahead in just the eighth minute when Ahmed Obeng nicked the ball off the Telford defence before playing it inside to Kyle Perry, but he was denied by a good block from home shot stopper Harry Burgoyne.

At the other end Tom Tonks’ long throws into the box were proving difficult to defend and Dwayne Samuels headed just over the bar in the 11th minute.

The lively Shelton Payne then saw two goal bound shots blocked inside a matter of minutes.

It would be the home side that would strike first though in the 28th minute. A long throw from the left by Tonks was flicked on by Graham Hutchinson into the bottom corner of the net.

The half ended with the Pitmen trying to find a way back into the match and although Stephane Ngamvoulou saw one shot blocked, he blazed another over the bar to bring the half to a close.

Manager Frank Sinclair shuffled his pack at half-time with Kennedy Digie moving back into a centre-half role, Jack Fitzwater going across to right-back and Adam Thomas moving further forward.

The first chance of the half fell to the home side after just a couple of minutes when the ball dropped to Eusebio Bancessi on the edge of the box but he fired just wide.

This would prove to be crucial as the Pitmen levelled in the 53rd minute. After playing his way out of trouble, Jack Truelove played the ball out to Payne who, after making his way to by-line, sent in a cross that picked out Perry and he headed home from inside the six yard box.

Hednesford now sensed that the game was there for the taking and Thomas fired into the side netting before Sean Williams saw an effort deflected behind for a corner.

The visitors were almost caught out in the 69th minute when Telford’s George Bowerman found himself with half a chance but his lob shot landed on the roof of the net.

Two minutes later Bowerman did find the back of the net but it was ruled out for a foul on Crane.

It would be Hednesford that would edge ahead in the 73rd minute though when a throw from Ben Bailey was cushioned down by Perry into the path of Thomas who saw his shot find the roof of the net.

Sinclair’s side knew the importance that this result could have on their season and there was some dismay when six minutes of stoppage time were announced.

With three minutes of the added time played came a big chance for the home side but Hutchinson blazed over the bar after being picked out on the edge of the box.

The Pitmen would ease the nerves seconds later when Perry managed to muscle his way past a Telford defender before unselfishly squaring for Tom James who forced the ball home, much to the delight of the visiting bench and supporters who embraced as one with the players.

Hednesford now look to build on this result as they take on Curzon Ashton for the first time in their history, at Keys Park on Saturday.

AFC Telford United: Burgoyne, Samuels, Campion, Dawson, Hutchinson, Tilt, Bancessi (Reid 60), Tonks (Grogan 79), Cofie (Bowerman 66), Hibbert, Clancy

Subs not used: Rowe, Montgomery

Hednesford Town: Crane, Thomas, Truelove, Bailey, Fitzwater, Digie, Obeng (Ennis 78), Williams, Perry, Ngamvoulou, Payne (James 86)

Subs not used: Regan, Patterson, Ransome

Attendance: 1,257

Star Man: Kyle Perry

Entertainment Rating: Four Stars


Related Articles

Recent Posts