Tonight's Birmingham Senior Cup fixture at HOME against Romulus has been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.


Hednesford Town 1-2 Coalville Town

Sunday 27/11/2016

An Ashley Sammons penalty six minutes from time wouldn’t be enough to earn Hednesford Town a share of the spoils as their Achilles heel of conceding late goals struck again.

Manager Paul Casey opted to give a second debut to the recently returned Kyle Rowley, while new signing Reece Leek also made his debut for the club.

It was the visitors who started the game the strongest and had half a chance in the 12th minute when a neat one-two saw Kyle Bryant free in the Pitmen penalty area but he fizzed his effort over the bar.

Two minutes later the visitors broke from a Hednesford corner and Ryan Robbins saw his shot saved by Hednesford goalkeeper Dan Crane when it looked for certain that Coalville would take the lead.

The home side were very much on the back foot and after a free kick was headed clear by Calum Flanagan, the ball was picked up by Massiah McDonald who saw his 23rd minute shot hit the post.

On the half hour mark Robbins flashed another effort wide of the post, with the aid of a deflection, before Steve Towers saw a glancing header go just wide in the 37th minute as Coalville continued to push.

HT: 0-0

Hednesford were dealt a blow during the halftime break as Jim Mutton was forced off with an injury picked up during the first 45 minutes.

The second half continued very much as the first period had and Crane was called into action again after 53 minutes when he palmed away a McDonald free kick and was able to block the follow-up effort.

It came as no surprise that it was Coalville who struck first when Sammons played the ball back short and although Crane saved Robbins’ first attempt, McDonald fired home the rebound from the edge of the box through a crowd of players to give his side a 67th minute lead.

Striker Tony Clarke had been introduced for his debut from the bench and the big target man offered something different up front for the Pitmen, with him almost finding Jamie Matthews in the 74th minute as the home side looked for an equaliser.

Ten minutes later, and after a more concerted period of pressure, the leveller arrived. Tom Thorley managed to control the ball on the edge of the box and as he made his way into the area he was bundled over – leading to a penalty. Despite his earlier mistake, Sammons confidently stepped up and dispatched the ball into the back of the net from the spot.

That wouldn’t be enough to earn Hednesford a point though as just when the game ticked over into second half stoppage time Lee Torr broke forward, after the ball was given away, and fired low into the bottom corner from the edge of the box.

Hednesford Town: Crane, Rowley, Bramall, Sammons, Mutton (Brenan 46), Flanagan, Leek, Thorley, Matthews, Singh (Sheldon 67), Dunkley (Clarke 56)
Subs not used: Wright, Shearer

Coalville Town: Bowles, Bryant, Torr, McAteer, Jenno, McMillan, Walshe, Towers, McDonald (Holmes 85), Robbins (Demidh 70), Dean (Rojewski 79)
Subs not used: Freeman, Coton

Attendance: 340

Star Man: Tom Thorley

Entertainment Rating: Two Stars


Related Articles

Recent Posts