Tonight's Birmingham Senior Cup fixture at HOME against Romulus has been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.


Marine 2-0 Hednesford Town

Monday 12/03/2018

Hednesford Town fell to a disappointing defeat against lowly Marine as their winless league run stretched to four matches.

Although Hednesford goalkeeper James Wren had a couple of comfortable shots to stop early on, there was little in the way of clear cut chances in the opening exchanges.

Meanwhile at the other end Joey Butlin saw a looping header land on the top of the Marine net in the 10th minute before Ben Bailey stopped a quick counterattack as the home side tried to break.

In the 17th minute some good football from the Marine saw the ball find its way to James Short but his low effort rippled the side netting.

Another long Bailey throw caused problems for the host in the 25th minute as Louis Harris watched his flick on hacked away in front of goal.

It would be the home side that would take the lead in the 41st minute when following the award of a debatable freekick, the ball was whipped in from the right by Short with no-one getting a touch as it found the back of the net.

HT: 1-0

Hednesford began the second half on the front foot and Callam Mendez-Jones perhaps should’ve done better when picked out by James Lawrie but he blazed his effort over.

The best move of the match arrived in the 50th minute as Matt Curley picked out Tom Thorley and his ball in found Jordan Graham but he didn’t connect properly when well placed.

Wren made a comfortable low save soon after before Charlie Gatter nodded a freekick just wide for the Pitmen in the 55th minute.

Despite this increased pressure, the home side doubled their lead just before the hour mark when a Danny Mitchley cross was palmed out by Wren but Michael Brewster was on hand to tap home into an unguarded net.

Lawrie saw a good chance come and go in the 71st minute, as he fired a shot wide, before watching on as his whipped freekick almost caught out the Martin Fearon in the Marine goal.

In the 80th minute Mitchley chipped an effort over Wren and just wide of the upright before Fearon made his first serious save of the game six minutes later as he kept out a low Graham shot.

Although the Pitmen forced a late corner they weren’t able to score a consolation and now must concentrate on preparing for the visit of the same opposition to Keys Park next Saturday.

Marine: Fearon, Wylie, Short, Hughes, Strickland, Smart, Brewster (McGrath 87), Field (Murray 70), Mitchley, Amis (Reid 67), Tongue
Subs not used: Baker, Watson

Hednesford Town: Wren, Mendez-Jones, Curley, Bailey, Gatter, Harris (King 73), Law (Glover 57), Thorley, Butlin, Graham, Lawrie
Subs not used: Fitzgibbon, Veiga

Attendance: 305


Related Articles

Recent Posts