Tonight's Birmingham Senior Cup fixture at HOME against Romulus has been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.


St Ives Town 1-1 Hednesford Town

Thursday 12/03/2020

“As I was going to St Ives, I met a man with seven wives, each wife had seven sacks, each sack had seven cats, each cat had seven kits. Kits, cats, sacks, wives How many were going to St. Ives?” …..

Well there were 14 on the supporters’ coach but the team coach was a little more depleted with Sam Griffiths, Callam Mendez-Jones and Osebi Abadaki all missing from the team who won at Redditch on Saturday. In better news, Ben O’Hanlon returned to the squad after suspension along with Izak Reid after illness. Carter Lycett was named as a substitute on a bench which could only muster three players.  St Ives made three changes from the starting line-up that lost 5-0 at Royston, Powell, Clifton and Snaith coming into the side.

The game once again started slowly, the first action came with Andy Wycherley heading clear a through ball just outside his area. Elliot Hodge continued where he left off on Saturday, seeing his free kick cleared after a foul on Dan Sweeney before Charlie Gatter turned his cross into the box only for it to be collected by Conway in the home goal. Hodge then put together a run and shot which was parried by Conway and collected at the second attempt. Rhys Thompson forced a corner, taken by Hodge but Danny Glover’s header was straight at Conway. The home side then came more into the game, relying on long throws as their main creativity before Toseland shot wide of the far post. Just before half time Conway made a great save from Glover’s header.

HT 0-0

The start of the second half saw Hodge hit the bar with Conway beaten before St Ives replaced Clifton with Dean, a striker on for a midfielder to try and take the game to the Pitmen but it was the visitors who were having the better of it, Dan Sweeney being in the thick of the action. St Ives then forced two corners, the second of which ended with a shot into the side netting. A third corner bounced around the area before Curtis found the back of the net to put the home side in front on 66 minutes. The lead was short lived however as Hodge’s cross was finished well just two minutes later by Danny Glover who notched his 79th Hednesford goal in his 200th appearance. Again, Hodge was looking the Pitmen’s most dangerous player with the ‘keeper collecting his cross at the second attempt. Charlie Gatter was booked for a foul before St Ives replaced Wilson with Bailey on 82 minutes. Hodge took centre stage again, being pulled down by Curtis and seeing his free kick saved. In the 89th minute he was replaced by Tom Hewlett to applause from the away fans and a minute later Patrick came on for Snaith for St Ives. There was just time for Sweeney to test Conway again, his shot being pushed behind for a corner before the referee called a halt to proceedings.

St Ives Town: Conway, Jackson, Toseland, Clifton (Dean), Hamblin, Powell, Wilson, Parker, Seymour-Shove, Curtis, Snaith (Patrick).
Subs (not used): Kelly

Hednesford Town: Wycherley, Reid, O’Hanlon, Bailey (Capt), Gatter, Hallahan, Davies, Thompson, Glover, Sweeney, Hodge  (Hewlett).
Subs (not used): Lycett, Veiga.

Attendance: 116


Related Articles

Recent Posts