Tonight's Birmingham Senior Cup fixture at HOME against Romulus has been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.


Hednesford Town 4-0 Workington AFC

Sunday 23/03/2014

Hednesford Town recorded back-to-back victories in the Skrill North for the first time since the end of January as they disposed of bottom side Workington AFC with a late rally which saw three goals arrive in the final five minutes, writes Scott Smith.

The home side started strongly as they looked to create early inroads and just over sixty seconds had gone when the first chance arrived as a header back across the box hit Paul Sullivan and found its way into the grateful hands of Workington goalkeeper Danijel Nizic. Jamey Osborne then saw a 20-yard shot easily saved before drifting a free kick just over the bar all inside the opening five minutes.

Hednesford continued to attack at will and almost went ahead in the 11th minute when the lively Sullivan saw his 25-yard shot hit the post and bounce away to safety. However the home side were able eventually to take the lead the 19th minute when Osborne was played through by new boy Danny Glover and his delicate dink defeated the Workington goalkeeper to open the scoring.

Town should really have been further ahead when Sullivan saw himself in clear after 23 minutes, only to be denied by Nizic whilst the home side had numerous half chances to really stamp their authority on the game but were unable to take them with the visitors offering little or no threat at the other end.

The longer it stayed at 1-0 though the bottom side were always in with a chance of grabbing something and Hednesford were indebted to goalkeeper Dan Crane for keeping Workington out in the 59th minute as Josef Jackson broke clear only to be denied by the shot stopper.

Rob Smith tried to freshen things up as the half wore on and one of his substitutes Michael Lennon almost grabbed a second for the home side in the 79th minute, only to see his shot scrambled away inside a congested penalty area.

Just when it looked as if Town might be in for a nervy final few minutes Osborne was able to grab his second of the game with 85 minutes on the clock. A free kick into the box was spilt by Nizic and the ball fell to the midfielder who exquisitely lifted his shot over everyone inside the penalty area and into the back of the net.

A gloss was put on the scoreline in the final throes as substitute Marvin Robinson got on the end of Lennon’s cross to nod home from inside the six-yard box after 88 minutes; whilst Robinson was then able to grab a second in stoppage time as he slotted home from the edge of the box after his first effort had been well blocked. This was nearly chalked off though only for the referee to overrule his assistant who had flagged for an offside.

These final few minutes completed a resounding victory for The Pitmen, one which was even sweeter for them as they kept a clean sheet for the first time since 17th December 2013. Hednesford will now be aiming to make it three wins on the bounce as they head to former Football League side Stockport County next weekend.

Hednesford Town
Crane, Disney, Campion (capt), McCone, Melbourne, Osborne (19,85), Sullivan (Riley 67), Glover (Robinson 86 (88,90)), Anagho-Ntamark (Lennon 75), Thorley

Subs Not Used
Thompson-Brown, Francis

Workington AFC
Nizic, Hoskin (F. Fernandes 66), Smith, May (capt), Andrews, Hindmarch, Skelton (Smith 82), Lynch, Jackson, Wright (Allison 66), McKenna

Subs Not Used
B. Fernandes, Jamieson

Bookings: May, Wright

Attendance: 490
Star Man: Jamey Osborne
Entertainment Rating: Three Stars

Match Action

[slickr-flickr search=”sets” set=”72157642786806943″ sort=”title” direction=”asc”]
Photos by Colin Rogers


Related Articles

Recent Posts