Tonight's Birmingham Senior Cup fixture at HOME against Romulus has been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.


Hednesford Town 1 – 1 Guiseley

Monday 15/09/2014

A Marvin Robinson goal three minutes into added time ensured Hednesford Town would extend their unbeaten run to three matches, despite a defiant effort from the ten men of Guiseley which almost saw them run out winners after playing nearly a whole half with a man disadvantage, writes Scott Smith.

The Pitmen almost made the perfect start to the game inside the first minute when Danny Glover’s lobbed effort was just kept out by Steve Drench in the Guiseley goal as he backtracked towards his net.

Both sides saw plenty of play around each other’s penalty area but none of it really tested the opposing goalkeeper, with a low Gavin Rothery effort in the 21st minute being the closest attempt on goal for the visitors.

A minute later James Hurst got down the right-hand-side and his cross into the box was met by Tom Peers who saw his acrobatic effort go well wide of the goal.

Although both teams won free kicks in dangerous positions neither really tested the opposition defence with Chris Westwood heading over the bar whilst Rothery saw an effort blocked away for a corner.

Hednesford were dealt a blow in the 38th minute as Chris Westwood hobbled off with a groin strain. Four minutes later the home side perhaps should have opened the scoring as a cross from the right was headed over by Jamey Osborne at the back post.

In the 48th minute the visitors were reduced to ten men as Danny Ellis hauled down Peers with the striker through one-on-one with Drench, leaving the referee with no option but to dismiss the defender.

Despite this man advantage the home side were really unable to make any inroads past a Guiseley side that brought back numbers in order seemingly to hold what they had. This was shown with Hednesford being forced into long-range efforts with Hurst firing just over the bar from 35 yards out.

As the half wore on Guiseley became more used to playing with ten men and it was actually they who struck first in the 73rd minute. A ball into the box was only cleared as far as Adam Boyes who lashed it home into the top corner of the net from 18-yards out.

There was almost an immediate response from Town when Alex Melbourne drove forward and his low driven effort just skimmed wide of Drench and the upright.

Hednesford continued to have plenty of possession but were restricted to mainly long- range efforts with Ben Bailey seeing two efforts from outside the box easily claimed by Drench.

Just as it looked as if it might not be Hednesford’s day though, a Hurst cross into the box caused all kinds of problems and Robinson was on hand to slot home calmly from just inside the six-yard box past Drench and a number of Guiseley defenders with just 50 seconds of stoppage time remaining.

Hednesford now have a week’s break from action before travelling to Chorley next Saturday. In the meantime they will learn who they will be facing in this season’s FA Cup Second Qualifying Round with the draw due to take place on Monday morning.

Hednesford Town: Crane, Hurst, Campion, Francis, Westwood (Bailey 38), Taylor, Osborne, Melbourne (Sullivan 77), Glover, Peers (Robinson 69), Thorley 

Subs not used: McCone, Ashmore 

Guiseley: Drench, Toulson, Parker, Lowe, Ellis, Lawlor, Brooksby, Boshell, Boyes, Wilson (Holdsworth 52), Rothery 

Subs not used: Forrest, Stockdill, Johnson, Dickinson 

Attendance: 502 

Star Man: Alex Melbourne

Entertainment Rating: Three Stars


Related Articles

Recent Posts