Worcester City 2 – 2 Hednesford Town

Sunday 25/01/2015

Town pick up point as City hold them to a draw …

Hednesford Town were left to rue what could have been after twice leading in this rearranged game against Worcester City, only to be pegged back by the home side on both occasions.

The Pitmen travelled to Aggborough for the second time in a month after the original game was abandoned on Boxing Day with Hednesford 3-0 up.

Despite Town still feeling somewhat aggrieved that they had to replay the fixture, it didn’t show as they took the lead in the opening minute of the game. Glenn Walker got down the left and his pull-back was slotted home by Nick Rushton for his first goal for the club.

In a lively opening Paul McCone was called to make a good block from Daniel Nti before Steve Diggin should have made it 2-0 as he spurned a chance following yet another dangerous cross by Walker.

Worcester had another chance to level the scores in the 18th minute only for Connor Gater to be denied by an excellent flying block from Richard Batchelor.

The home side didn’t have to wait long before they equalised though, as five minutes later Sean Geddes curled a delightful free kick into the top corner of the net from 25 yards. The goal was shrouded with some controversy though as the ball went out of play at least once in the build-up to Worcester winning the free kick but the officials failed to spot this most obvious decision.

Hednesford didn’t let this get to them though and they were back ahead in the 34th minute. After a Town free kick was cleared the ball found its way to Jack Thomas who struck a fantastic half volley over Nathan Vaughan and into the net from 30 yards.

If anything though, this seemed to liven up the home side as first Mike Symons shot well wide from the edge of the box before Gater blazed over when well placed in front of goal after City had got past Town goalkeeper Dan Crane.

Seven minutes into the second period Jamey Osborne came close to extending the lead as he was brought down just outside the box before seeing his effort fly just wide from the dead ball situation.

Meanwhile, at the other end, Gater dragged an effort wide from inside the penalty area as City continued to search for an equaliser.

In the 57th minute Steve Diggin was able to make a chance for himself as he latched onto a ball over the top of the Worcester defence only to fire wide from a narrow angle.

Hednesford would rue these missed chances as, following a period of pressure, City equalised. A free kick into the box was initially cleared as far as Ellis Deeney and although his shot was half-blocked it fell to Symons inside the six yard box and he slotted home to bring the scores level.

Going into the final ten minutes, Worcester threw everything at Town with Crane being forced into a smart save before Wayne Thomas thought he had won it for the home side, only to be denied by the offside flag.

There would be one final half-effort for the visitors as Osborne saw his shot blocked and the backspin almost caused a problem for goalkeeper Vaughan, only for the goalkeeper to sort his feet out and claim the ball.

In the end though they would have to settle for a point, knowing that the decision to replay the game had ultimately cost them two and hoping that this wouldn’t affect them at the end of the campaign.

The Pitmen host Gloucester City at Keys Park on Tuesday evening aiming to extend their unbeaten run at home to five matches.

Worcester City: Vaughan, Haynes, Jackman, Hutchinson, Thomas, Brown, Nti (Collins 88), Deeney, Symons, Geddes, Gater (Dunkley 65)

Subs not used: Wright, Khan, Veiga

Hednesford Town: Crane, Hurst, Campion, Bailey, McCone, Thomas (Robinson 79), Osborne, Walker, Diggin (McGee 79), Rushton (Thorley 59), Batchelor

Subs not used: Melbourne, Westwood

Attendance: 612

Star Man: James Hurst

Entertainment Rating: Four Stars


Related Articles

Recent Posts