Tonight's Birmingham Senior Cup fixture at HOME against Romulus has been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.


Curzon Ashton 3-2 Hednesford Town

Sunday 03/04/2016

A second half fightback from Hednesford Town would prove to be in vain after a goal six minutes from time condemned the Pitmen to an away defeat at Curzon Ashton.

It was the home side who started on the front foot and after Niall Cummins fired wide in the third minute, Hednesford goalkeeper Dan Crane made a fine save from Ryan Brooke five minutes later to keep his side level.

Hednesford’s first chance of the game arrived in the 12th minutes as Stephane Ngamvoulou drove forward before playing a one-two with Danny Glover but the midfielder swept his shot wide of the upright.

Back came the home side and two minutes later Cummins found himself through on Crane but the goalkeeper stood tall to block his effort before Brooke missed another good chance for Curzon in the 21st minute.

This saw manager Frank Sinclair make a change to his team as Adam Thomas came off the bench to replace Francino Francis. The Pitmen thought they had taken the lead in the 31st minute as Glover found the back of the net but the striker was deemed to have fouled home goalkeeper Cameron Mason.

Three minutes before the half-time whistle Glover went close again after Jonathan Royle was fouled 25 yards out and the forward saw his dead-ball effort strike the post before drifting away to safety.

After a goalless first period it would take just three minutes of the second half for the home side to open the scoring when Jordan Wright fired home from the edge of the box into the bottom corner of the net.

Two minutes later Curzon doubled their lead as Brooke got in behind the Hednesford defence and was this time able to find the back of the net after he chipped the advancing Crane.

It almost got worse for Town as Brooke burst through but his effort was saved by Crane with the rebound going over the bar.

The Pitmen found a way back into the game in the 69th minute as Paul Ennis spotted Mason off his line and from some 35 yards out he sent a delightful chip over the goalkeeper and into the goal.

Two minutes later Sinclair’s side were level as Royle headed home from a Sean Williams corner for his first goal in Pitmen colours.

Hednesford now sensed they could go on and win the game and first Thomas saw his shot stopped right on the line by Mason before the goalkeeper denied Ennis after he had been picked out by Glover in the 83rd minute.

Disaster would strike for Town though as a minute later the ball found its way to Joe Guest and he buried his effort from just inside the box into the far corner of the net to give his side the lead once more.

This would turn out to be the end of the scoring although the home side were lucky to end the game with 11 men as Mason deliberately kicked out at Glover as the striker closed him down but it went unnoticed by the match officials.

Curzon Ashton: Mason, Flynn, Hampson (Norton 72), Hunt, Shaw, Rowney, Wright, Tomsett, Cummins (Cockerline 72), Brooke, Guest

Subs not used: Crothers, Burton, Woodford

Hednesford Town: Crane, Digie, Trainer (Truelove 57), Bailey, Francis (Thomas 29), Royle, Ennis, Williams, Glover, Ngamvoulou, Payne (Cham 57)

Subs not used: Ransome, Robinson

Attendance: 329

Star Man: Dan Crane

Entertainment Rating: Four Stars


Related Articles

Recent Posts