Hednesford Town 2–2 Ashton United

Sunday 18/09/2016

Hednesford Town came from behind twice to earn a point against an Ashton United side who kept their undefeated away record intact following this visit to Keys Park.

It would be the visitors that struck first in just the seventh minute when a long throw into the box was headed only as far as Chris Baguley who fired the ball back into the net under Town goalkeeper Lloyd Ransome.

Hednesford almost responded straight away with Danny Glover sending a free kick just wide of the upright a minute later.

The home side were really struggling to get going against a well-organised Ashton outfit, although they did have the ball in the net after 20 minutes but George Carline had already been flagged offside before he fired home.

Ashton had a chance to increase their lead in the 37th minute when a cross into the box picked out Lee Gaskell but he headed wide of the goal from six yards out.

The Pitmen must have been read the riot act at halftime as they came out with renewed vigour as they looked for a way back into the game.

They almost found it three minutes in as the ball broke to Gurjit Singh but a fine block from goalkeeper Terry Smith denied him.

The Pitmen came even closer to leveling the scores in the 51st minute when Lewis Wright cut inside before crossing the ball in only to see it cannon back off the upright.

Hednesford were level in the 56th minute though when after holding the ball up Singh turned and fired a low shot into the bottom corner.

The game was almost turned around in the 62nd minute as Singh played the ball down to Glover who saw his shot beaten away.

It was the visitors who would strike next though as two minutes later substitute Matty Chadwick strode past one man before rounding Ransome to fire into an unguarded net.

Hednesford didn’t let their heads drop though and leveled the game up in the 67th minute when Cohen Bramall sent a free kick into the box which was headed back across by George Carline to Singh who forced the ball home.

The home side were now in the ascendancy once again and after Joel Logan saw a chance come and go, Carline headed straight at Smith when well placed.

Another chance for the home side would arrive in the 89th minute when a long ball down the middle picked out substitute Demetri Brown but he volleyed well over with just Smith to beat.

As the game entered stoppage time still the chances arrived for the Pitmen with first Ashley Sammons flashing a first time effort just wide of the post before Bramall fired in a stinging shot which was palmed away by Smith and with it went the chance of earning the three points.

Hednesford Town:  Ransome, Wright, Bramall, Thorley, Mutton, Flanagan, Logan (Brown 81), Maye, Glover (Matthews 69), Carline, Singh (Sammons 79)

Subs not used: Crane, Williams

Ashton United: T.Smith, Coo, Mason, Frost, Connor, Lees (Lofthouse 87), Crowther, R.Smith, Gaskell, Baguley (Chadwick 60 (Nevins 74)), Dorney

Subs not used: Banim, Haining

Att: 375

Star man: Gurjit Singh

Entertainment Rating: Three Stars



Related Articles

Recent Posts