Tonight's Birmingham Senior Cup fixture at HOME against Romulus has been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.


Hednesford Town 3-0 Corby Town

Tuesday 11/10/2016

Hednesford Town were able to return to winning ways in the league with a convincing victory over bottom of the table Corby Town.

The Pitmen started the game very much on the front foot and thought they were ahead in just the fifth minute when a Danny Glover effort was palmed into the air and seemingly over the line, however the officials deemed not and the game went on.

Corby did force a chance of their own in the 17th minute when a ball into the box picked out Jamie Anton, but his header from 12 yards went wide of the post.

After dominating possession in the opening exchanges it came as no surprise when Hednesford took the lead in the 20th minute as former Corby man Ashley Sammons fired in a great shot from 25 yards that found the bottom corner of the net.

Hednesford felt as if they should have had a penalty after 34 minutes when Tristian Dunkley went down in the box after rounding goalkeeper Monty Parkes, but instead the striker was booked for diving.

The Pitmen then saw half chances for Danny Glover and Jim Mutton come and go before George Carline watched on as his header was cleared off the line in the 43rd minute as his side went in just one goal to the good at the break.

HT: 1-0

Although the visitors pressed at the start of the second period the home side almost doubled their lead firstly in the 56th minute when Sammons fired an effort just over the crossbar before Simeon Maye sent a free header over the goal six minutes later.

The Pitmen were given a great chance to extend the scoreline in the 64th minute when they were awarded a penalty as Jamie Matthews was taken out, but Glover was denied from 12 yards by goalkeeper Parkes.

Hednesford went close again four minutes later as Maye picked out Matthews but he could only head wide from three yards out.

Any nerves were eased for the home side though in the 71st minute when Carline rose highest to head home from a corner just moments after he had seen an effort hit the post.

This was followed by a third for the home side seven minutes later when Mutton was able to head in his first goal for the club from six yards out.

Hednesford continued to press with Matthews seeing another good chance come his way after Cohen Bramall had got to the byline.

Corby never really tested the Pitmen in truth although they did nearly reduce the arrears in the 89th minute but Callum Ball fired wide from just three yards out.

The home side continued to press and almost grabbed a fourth as substitute Gurjit Singh broke through two challenges before firing wide of the upright in the last minute of normal time.

Hednesford will now prepare for the visit of Blyth Spartans on Saturday as they look to build on this victory.

Hednesford Town: Crane, Wright, Bramall, Maye, Mutton, Flanagan, Sammons (Singh 78), Thorley, Glover (Logan 78), Dunkley (Matthews 50), Carline

Subs not used: Ransome, Rowley

Corby Town: Parkes, Bell, Kennedy, Anton, Marshall, Webb, Ogilvie (Orenuga 74), Draper (Lee 51), Ball, Milnes, Crawford (Johnson 74)

Subs not used: Marshall, Frisch

Attendance: 324

Star Man: Ashley Sammons


Entertainment Rating: Four Stars


Related Articles

Recent Posts