Tonight's Birmingham Senior Cup fixture at HOME against Romulus has been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.


Barwell 1-1 Hednesford Town

Sunday 05/11/2017

Hednesford Town came from behind to earn a point from their trip to Barwell thanks to a Joe Fitzpatrick goal five minutes from time.

The game got off to an even start with both sides giving away a number of freekicks – none of which were able to be capitalised upon.

Hednesford forced a half chance in the 16th minute when Jordan Graham cut inside before seeing his shot blocked away.

Three minutes later a ball down the right was left with Nigel Julien moving onto it but Pitmen goalkeeper James Wren reacted quickly to block out the shot.

On the half hour mark Checkaine Steele did well down for the Pitmen the right-hand side and his cut back eventually fell to Adriel George whose shot was saved.

In the 39th minute Graham did well again to cut inside from the left this time, but he curled his effort well over the bar.

The Pitmen nearly went behind four minutes later when a corner picked out Liam Kay but his free header went wide of the goal.

HT: 0-0

Hednesford began the second half on the front foot as they looked to open the scoring but they never really troubled Liam Castle in the home goal.

Meanwhile, although Barwell were finding some room down the flanks their final ball was lacking and never really tested the visitors.

In the 72nd minute Hednesford created a half opening when the ball fell to Joey Butlin but his effort was blocked away.

The visitors had a let off two minutes later when a ball down the middle caught the Pitmen out and Matt Stenson rounded Wren but Ben Bailey was able to block the effort at the near post and out for a corner.

Stenson went close again in the 78th minute when after some good skill he fired a right footed effort wide of the upright.

Three minutes later Barwell would take the lead though when another ball down the middle wasn’t dealt with and Stenson cut inside and fired past Wren from 12 yards.

The Pitmen would respond well though and after threatening from a corner the equaliser arrived in the 85th minute. A James Lawrie freekick was cleared only as far as Joe Fitzpatrick who curled a low effort into the bottom corner from 20 yards.

Both sides now fancied a chance of grabbing all three points and the home side first saw Stenson fire an effort over the bar before Butlin was denied at the other end.

Hednesford’s good work was almost undone with the last kick of the game but Luke Barlone saw his effort spilled onto the post and re-claimed by a relieved Wren – with the full-time whistle being blown a second later.

Barwell: Castle, Whitmore, Nisevic, Stanley, Kay, Julien, Hildreth, Heath (Tweed 73), Barlone, Bates (Baldwin 59), Stenson
Subs not used: Turner, Story, Hadland

Hednesford Town: Wren, Thorley, Campion, Bailey, Mutton, King, Steele (Glover 83), Fitzpatrick, Butlin, Graham, George (Lawrie 72)
Subs not used: Melbourne, Oji, Crooks

Attendance: 178


Related Articles

Recent Posts