Tonight's Birmingham Senior Cup fixture at HOME against Romulus has been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.


Farsley Celtic 1-3 Hednesford Town

Sunday 04/02/2018

Hednesford Town came from behind to earn all three points against fellow promotion hopefuls Farsley Celtic and with it move into the top five of the league.

The Pitmen had a bad start before the game had even kicked off with winger Mason Walsh turning up late and midfielder Reece King picking up an injury in the warm-up.

Things went from bad to worse for Hednesford as they fell behind in just the fifth minute when Paul Walker wasn’t tackled and his pass found its way to Ben Atkinson who rounded Town goalkeeper James Wren to fire Farsley ahead.

Although James Fitzgbbon had half a chance to bring his side level it was the hosts who were looking most threatening with Wren being called into action on more than one occasion.

Hednesford were unfortunate not to be level in the 17th minute though as first James Lawrie saw his rising shot cleared off the line before from the resulting corner Jordan Graham’s back-heel was also stopped on the line.

Wren had to react smartly three minutes later as a cross cannoned off Danny Glover and towards his own goal. He didn’t have to react though in the 33rd minute as Atkinson fired well over the crossbar when well situated on the edge of the penalty area.

Right on the stroke of halftime the Pitmen would draw themselves level as good football, and use of the advantage rule by the referee, saw Glover pick out Joe Fitzpatrick who made no mistake from 10 yards.

HT: 1-1

Wren was called into action again three minutes into the second half before Jordan Graham saw a shot from the edge of the penalty area saved.

There was some concern for the welfare of Hednesford’s James Fitzgibbon in the 65th minute as he collided with an advertising board and was forced off with a nasty gash to the head.

Four minutes later a great chance came the way of the Pitmen as Walsh broke forward and picked out Tom Thorley but the midfielder couldn’t convert from 10 yards.

Although the hosts forced a number of set pieces they weren’t able to take advantage from any, with a looping effort from Dan Cockerline being the closest they came to troubling the goal.

Hednesford would edge ahead in the 79th minute when some excellent play by Graham saw him get to the touchline before his cross in found Danny Glover to head the ball into the net from six yards out.

Callam Mendez-Jones was forced to make a fine block two minutes later to preserve the lead before the Pitmen sealed all three points in the first minute of stoppage time. Jamie Lawrie hassled the last defender into a mistake and rounded Graeme McKibbin in the Farsley goal before firing home from a tight angle.

The Pitmen now turn their attentions towards the Staffordshire Senior Cup on Tuesday evening when we make the trip to Newcastle Town.

Farsley Celtic: McKibbin, Turner, Baldwin, C Atkinson (Murray 81), Harris, Clayton, B Atkinson, Turner, Cockerline, Cartman, Walker (Parkin 84)
Subs not used: Trenerry, William

Hednesford Town: Wren, Mendez-Jones, Curley, Fitzpatrick (Harris 71), Oji, Gatter, Graham (Bailey 85), Thorley, Glover, Lawrie, Fitzgibbon (Walsh 65)
Subs not used: Butlin, King

Attendance: 204


Related Articles

Recent Posts