Tonight's Birmingham Senior Cup fixture at HOME against Romulus has been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.


Hednesford Town 0-2 Warrington Town

Sunday 25/02/2018

A goal in each half from Warrington Town saw the ten men of Hednesford Town condemned to defeat against the promotion chasing visitors.

Manager Rob Smith was forced into two changes from the previous game with Callam Mendez-Jones being unavailable due to injury while James Lawrie, who had also been withdrawn with a knock last weekend, was also only fit enough for the bench.

After an even start the visitors saw a good chance snuffed out when Sam Oji made a fine last ditch challenge to deny striker Jamie McDonald when he was just about to get a shot away.

In the 16th minute Hednesford were indebted to goalkeeper James Wren when Tony Gray worked himself into space inside the penalty area but he couldn’t advance past the shot stopper.

However this would only be a temporary reprieve as the visitors took the lead just sixty seconds later. The Pitmen were again caught out and Gray was able to loop an effort over Wren and into the unguarded net.

Warrington saw another chance come and go in the 22nd minute before the Pitmen forced their first effort on target six minutes later as Oji rose highest but his header was saved.

In the 37th minute Hednesford were almost caught out again but Matt Curley made a fine block challenge on McDonald as the striker was about to fire towards goal.

The home side ended the half on the front foot pressing for an equaliser but only had a Tom Thorley shot and a Reece King header to show for their efforts.

HT: 0-1

Five minutes into the second period a glorious chance came the way of Hednesford when the ball broke for James Fitzgibbon and he strode forward before firing an effort over the crossbar.

In the 56th minute the visitors added a second goal when former Hednesford man Sean Williams did well to work the ball into some space on the edge of the box and his low shot found the back of the net via the upright.

The Pitmen almost responded immediately as Darren Campion whipped in a freekick and Joey Butlin headed it inches wide of the far post.

Another chance came the way of Hednesford in the 71st minute when a scramble inside the box saw the ball fall to King and his effort was cleared away by Shaun Beeley as it headed towards the net.

There were appeals for a penalty in the 82nd minute when Butlin went down in the penalty area before the Pitmen were reduced to ten men a minute later as Joe Fitzpatrick was sent off for a block tackle. The Pitmen boss was also dismissed to the stands after protesting against the decision.

Hednesford continued to press despite their numerical disadvantage with Charlie Gatter putting an effort wide from the halfway line after a mistake from goalkeeper Luke Pilling before the goalkeeper redeemed himself with a low save from Oji.

Hednesford Town: Wren, Curley, Campion, King (Harris 73), Oji, Gatter, Fitzpatrick, Thorley, Butlin, Graham (Glover 75), Fitzgibbon (Bailey 61)
Subs not used: Lawrie, Law

Warrington Town: Pilling, Carden, McKeown, Williams, Higgins, Goulding, Beeley, Kinsella, McDonald (Piggott 82), Gray (Bakare 87), Green (Hayhurst 65)
Subs not used: McMillan, Barnes

Attendance: 346


Related Articles

Recent Posts