Tonight's Birmingham Senior Cup fixture at HOME against Romulus has been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.


Whitby Town 1-2 Hednesford Town

Sunday 02/09/2018

A goal in each half saw Hednesford Town claim all three points against Whitby Town – as the Pitmen made it three wins out of three away from home to keep their unbeaten run intact on their travels.

The first half chance of the game would fall the visitors’ way when defender Callam Mendez-Jones fired in an effort that went just wide of the upright in the fifth minute.

Four minutes later Hednesford almost edged ahead when Mike Howard just couldn’t stretch for a cross into the box before the striker saw a header superbly saved by Jack Norton in the Whitby goal.

In the 18th minute the visitors were indebted to captain Stefan Galinski for keeping the score level as he cleared a Dale Hopson effort off the line after the midfielder had broken forward.

It would be Hednesford who would strike first though when in the 29th minute Howard floated a lovely ball into the penalty area and striker Dan Cockerline took the ball down before poking it home.

The home side forced a number of set pieces over the course of the next ten minutes but Pitmen goalkeeper Josef Bursik was able to come and claim every one as the young Stoke City loanee’s reputation continues to grow.

It was Hednesford who ended the half the stronger as they almost doubled their lead on the stroke of halftime but Jermain Hollis fired a shot into the side netting.

HT: 0-1

Five minutes into the second half Davies saw a hooked shot just go over the crossbar before seeing a shot saved in the 59th minute.

Bursik did well again five minutes later to claim a dangerous through ball when the danger was on before the home side appealed for a penalty in the 72nd minute which the officials waved away.

The Pitmen would double their lead in the 76th minute though when new signing Lewis Archer picked up the ball in his own half before running up the left wing and into the box and toe poking an effort into the roof of the net to score on his debut.

Just when it looked as if the Pitmen would see out the score the home side were back in it seven minutes from time as Kieron Parnaby rose highest to head home at the back post.

The home side were now on top and Bursik once again had to react quickly in the 86th minute before coming to claim a late corner, which the home goalkeeper had come up for as Whitby searched for a late equaliser.

Hednesford now turn their attentions towards the big local derby with Stafford Rangers on Tuesday evening at Keys Park.

Whitby Town: Norton, Roddam, McWilliams, Gell, Weledji, Monkhouse, Sukar, Hopson, Mondal (Parnaby 58), Rutherford (Nearney 69), Wilson (Furness 58)
Subs not used: Dixon, Vaulks

Hednesford Town: Bursik, Mendez-Jones, Fitzpatrick, Hollis, Galinski (Griffiths 46), Gatter, Curley, Davies (Craddock 77), Cockerline, Howard (Archer 67), Fox
Subs not used: Dodd, Grimshaw

Attendance: 318


Related Articles

Recent Posts