Tonight's Birmingham Senior Cup fixture at HOME against Romulus has been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.


Bamber Bridge 1-1 Hednesford Town

Sunday 27/01/2019

Hednesford Town were denied all three points after conceding a penalty two minutes from time on their first ever visit to Bamber Bridge.

The Pitmen handed a debut to goalkeeper Kieran Preston following his arrival from Basford United while Charlie Gatter returned to the bench after missing three games through injury.
Also on the morning of the game it was confirmed that winger Matt Dodd had departed Keys Park.

Although the hosts exerted the early pressure it was Hednesford who almost edged ahead in the 12th minute but Shane Benjamin couldn’t quite get on the end of Kieran Wells’ dangerous cross.

Preston meanwhile was called into action a couple of times after set pieces caused some confusion in the backline.

Benjamin saw a header easily saved in the 19th minute before Hednesford’s Alex Melbourne sent in a rasping left footed effort that went wide of the upright.

The hosts actually had the ball in the back of the net in the 27th minute but Alistair Waddecar’s effort was ruled out for offside.

Hednesford would take the lead five minutes later when some good football saw the ball played in to striker Kieran Wells and he was able to poke home into the net from 12 yards out.

Although the home side had a succession of set pieces the Pitmen’s goalkeeper Preston wasn’t really tested in the remainder of the half.

HT: 0-1

Four minutes into the second period Wells had a great chance to double his tally but flashed his shot wide from 12 yards after he had bustled his way through into the penalty area.

As the half wore on Brig came more into the fixture and started to apply pressure to the Pitmen backline – with Preston making a fine low save from Danny Forbes in the 70th minute.

Preston again denied Forbes 12 minutes later as a low driven effort was palmed away as the new goalkeeper continued to impress.

Just when it looked as if Hednesford had done enough the home side equalised from the penalty spot when Alex-Ray Harvey fouled Waddecar in the 88th minute. The midfielder picked himself up to convert into the top corner from 12 yards.

Hednesford were indebted to Preston two minutes later as he made a good save from Matt Dudley after the ball had broken for the striker inside the box.

The visitors had a great chance of their own four minutes into stoppage time as Lewis Archer broke clear but he fired his shot wide from the edge of the box. From the resultant goalkick the ball was played wide and a looping cross found Dudley but his effort hit the post on the way behind – ending the game in a frantic style.

Bamber Bridge: Rigby, Spooner, Dodd, Lawlor, Doughty, Churchman (Linney 83), Waddecar, Forbes (McKnight 85), Dudley, Harris, Marlow
Subs not used: Charnock, Wilson, Roccia

Hednesford Town: Preston, Lupano, Melbourne, Bailey, Moran, Harvey, Vidal (Hallahan 77), King, Benjamin, Wells (Archer 80), Ellis
Subs not used: Veiga, Gatter, Pryce

Attendance: 375


Related Articles

Recent Posts