Tonight's Birmingham Senior Cup fixture at HOME against Romulus has been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.


Hednesford Town 0–1 Farsley Celtic

Wednesday 02/01/2019

A solitary first half goal would see Hednesford Town fall to defeat in Nicky Eaden’s first game in-charge as the Pitmen narrowly lost out to in-form Farsley Celtic.

Andre Johnson came into the Hednesford line-up for his debut while Alex Melbourne also returned at right-back – 13 months after his last appearance for the club.

In an even start to the game the first action on goal came in the 12th minute as Luke Parkin saw his deflected effort claimed by Josef Bursik in the Pitmen goal.

Seven minutes later Hednesford broke quickly from a corner and after Michael Howard’s cross was turned away Melbourne fired in an effort well over the crossbar.

In the 21st minute Nathan Cartman almost capitalised on a loose back header but his lobbed effort went wide of Bursik’s goal.

The best move of the half arrived three minutes later as Hednesford broke down the right and Johnson’s low cross picked out Lewis Archer but he couldn’t get a proper connection on his effort from six yards and the chance was gone.

Just past the half hour mark the visitors started to press the Pitmen backline with a number of long throws – all of which were dealt with.

It was with disappointment though that Hednesford would concede in the 35th minute when a long kick upfield from Kyle Trenerry in the Celtic goal found Cartman who sent a flighted effort over Bursik and into the net.

HT: 0-1

Hednesford started the second half on the front foot and Ben Bailey saw a goalbound effort cleared away in the 48th minute.

Although they had plenty of the ball, the Pitmen were struggling to create clear-cut chances on goal – with set pieces coming and going without testing the Celtic backline.

In the 77th minute this almost changed though as Matt Dodd did well down the right and his cross found Dan Cockerline who saw his first-time effort blocked behind for a corner. From the resultant set piece Reece King headed narrowly wide at the far post.

Seven minutes later Dodd again did well and his low cross was cleared from inside the six-yard box as Cockerline waited to tap home before Johnson curled an effort well over the crossbar.

Meanwhile at the other end the Pitmen backline were comfortably able to deal with the few openings that the visitors created.

The final chance for Hednesford would come in the 87th minute as Howard drove across the field but his effort from 20 yards flashed well wide of the goal.

Hednesford Town: Bursik, Melbourne, Fox (Cooper 90), Hallahan, Bailey, Gatter, Dodd, King, Archer (Cockerline 67), Johnson, Howard
Subs not used: Dawes, Abadaki, Veiga

Farsley Celtic: Trenerry, Atkinson, Baldwin, Higgins, Ellis (Britton 13 (Chan 40)), Clayton, Parkin (Bett 82), C Atkinson, Syers, Cartman, Walker
Subs not used: Hill, Mitchell

Attendance: 439


Related Articles

Recent Posts