Tonight's Birmingham Senior Cup fixture at HOME against Romulus has been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.


Warrington Town 3-1 Hednesford Town

Sunday 10/02/2019

Hednesford Town fell to defeat at league leaders Warrington Town despite a spirited performance on the road by the Pitmen – as they returned to action following a two week break due to the weather.

After an even start the opening goal of the game arrived in the 16th minute when a scruffy cross from Warrington’s Jack Dunn was eventually laid into the path of Dylan Vassallo who was able to guide the ball home from six yards out.

It took the visitors just five minutes to respond though as a corner wasn’t cleared and after Javan Vidal’s shot was saved Shane Benjamin was on hand to fire the ball into the back of the net.

Hednesford almost gave away all their good work inside 60 seconds though only for goalkeeper Kieran Preston to save them as Josh Amis broke clear and saw the chance snuffed out.

The Pitmen should have added a second in the 24th minute but Benjamin fired wide at the far post after being picked out by Alex Melbourne.

The hosts were indebted to goalkeeper Tony McMillan for keeping them level on the half hour mark as Danny Lupano struck a great first-time effort that was arrowing towards the top corner, only for the shot stopper to turn it over the crossbar.

This proved to be crucial as Warrington would retake the lead in the 41st minute when a long boot upfield wasn’t dealt with by the Pitmen backline and Amis forced the ball home at the second attempt after seeing his initial shot saved.

HT: 2-1

Hednesford began the second half on top, although had little in the way of clear-cut chances in front of goal – seeing plenty of possession in the opposition half.

The closest they would come was when home defender Shaun Beeley glanced a freekick towards his own goal in the 62nd minute only for it to tipped over by McMillan in the home goal.

Two minutes later Warrington almost grabbed a third when a corner found its way to Mitch Duggan but his effort was blocked by Lupano, with the chance being snuffed out.

The hosts would wrap up the points in the 71st when a freekick from the right saw Preston make a smart save from Ben Garrity only for Amis to tap home from six yards out for his second of the afternoon.

This knocked the stuffing out of Hednesford and although Jack Hallahan went close late on they weren’t able to form any kind of comeback and would end up pointless.

Warrington Town: McMillan, Duggan, Whittle, Beeley, Roberts, Raven, Vassallo (McCarthy 73), Garrity (Benjamin 89), Gray (Evans 84), Amis, Dunn
Subs not used: Carden, Dixon

Hednesford Town: Preston, Melbourne, Lupano, Harvey, Moran, Bailey, Vidal (Archer 75), King, Benjamin, Wells, Ellis (Hallahan 78)
Subs not used: Veiga, Gatter, Fox

Attendance: 348


Related Articles

Recent Posts