Tonight's Birmingham Senior Cup fixture at HOME against Romulus has been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.


Gainsborough Trinity 0-0 Hednesford Town

Saturday 20/04/2019

Hednesford Town recorded a well-earned point on the road at play-off chasing Gainsborough Trinity in what was anything but an end of season fixture as both sides were reduced to ten men.

The Pitmen had somewhat of a turbulent week leading up to the game with manager Nicky Eaden departing the Keys Park outfit and assistant Gary Hayward overseeing the final two fixtures.

It was the hosts who had the first effort on target in the ninth minute but a low deflected shot was comfortably saved by Jacob Weaver in the Pitmen’s goal.

Sixty seconds later Hednesford created a great opening after some nice football saw the ball find its way to Kieran Wells but he ballooned his effort over the crossbar from 12 yards.

In the 20th minute a long ball down the middle of the pitch saw home goalkeeper Joseph Green forced to head clear but Reece King could only send his 25-yard effort over the goal.

Weaver was called into action for the Pitmen in the 35th minute after Benjamin Hughes fired a freekick over the wall from 25 yards, but the goalkeeper was able to produce a fingertip save to deny the midfielder.

Four minutes later a snapshot from Alexander Byrne went narrowly over the crossbar as Weaver watched on.

HT: 0-0

A succession of corners for the hosts saw the Pitmen on the back foot at the start of the second half but the visitors dealt admirably with them all.

Hednesford had a good chance in the 55th minute as O’Hanlon raced to the by-line and his cross picked out Reece King but on the stretch the midfielder could only head wide.

The Pitmen were indebted to defender Ben Bailey seven minutes later as he headed clear off the line after Anthony Wilson had found space at the far post.

In the 65th minute there were appeals for a Pitmen penalty as Green pushed over Kieran Wells in the area but nothing was given.

The officials would get involved in the game in the 72nd minute though after a coming together saw Danny Racchi dismissed for the Pitmen while Wilson was given his marching orders for the hosts.

Both sides settled back into how they had been playing before this though, with Gainsborough’s Ross Hannah firing an effort over after a quick freekick had been played into him.

As the game ticked into stoppage time it was Hednesford who were pressing for all three points and they almost found them as a long Bailey throw caused confusion but Danny Lupano couldn’t quite turn home.

In the end both sides settled for a point as the Pitmen consolidated their place in mid-table under Hayward.

Gainsborough Trinity: Green, Austin, Davie, Russell, Maguire, Stainford, Byrne (L Hughes 89), Middleton, Worsfield (Hannah 62), Wilson, B Hughes
Subs not used: Simmons, Clarke, Evans

Hednesford Town: Weaver, Vidal (Fox 62), O’Hanlon, Harvey, Lupano, Bailey, Racchi, King, K Wells, Reid (Curley 84), B Wells
Subs not used: Wright, Hallahan, Lycett

Attendance: 812


Related Articles

Recent Posts