Tonight's Birmingham Senior Cup fixture at HOME against Romulus has been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.


Stourbridge 0-3 Hednesford Town

Sunday 18/08/2019

A scintillating first half performance from Hednesford Town saw them blow Stourbridge away as the Pitmen returned to winning ways in confident fashion.

Hednesford started very much on the front foot as they looked to put Tuesday’s defeat against Coalville Town behind them and were denied by a fantastic finger tip save from former goalkeeper James Wren in the eighth minute as he kept out a header from Wells.

The Pitmen would be ahead just three minutes later though when Abadaki played the ball forward to Kieran Wells and the striker superbly slotted home from the edge of the box with a first-time effort.

A long Ben Bailey throw in the 19th minute caused problems for the hosts as Wren failed to gather and the ball was just flicked clear of Glover’s head as he looked to slot home.

Stourbridge went close to levelling in the 25th minute when a corner picked out Greg Mills and after seeing his first effort blocked by goalkeeper Daniel Platt his second was cleared off the line by Sam Griffiths.

This proved to be crucial as five minutes later Hednesford doubled their lead when a long goal kick from Platt picked out Danny Glover and the striker lifted his effort over the advancing Wren to score his third goal of the season.

Hednesford would make it three in the 39th minute as Wells played a perfectly timed ball between the two centre halves which Osebi Abadaki raced onto before coolly sliding the ball into the corner of the net.

HT: 0-3

Two minutes into the second half Stourbridge almost found a way back into the game only for Mills to be denied at the near post by Platt who made a brave block.

In the 48th minute a Pitmen corner picked out Wells and his looping effort was just turned over the crossbar by Wren.

Hednesford were indebted to Platt once again the 53rd minute as he made another smart save from Mills as the forward fired in an effort from the angle.

Three minutes later Platt was in action once again as he tipped Thomas Turton’s 25-yard effort over the crossbar.

Stourbridge continued to probe and in the 68th minute Michael Taylor saw his headed effort superbly turned onto the woodwork by Platt before the ball back in saw Kristian Green head over from six yards out.

A minute later Hednesford appealed for a penalty when Tom Elliott was hauled down but the foul was just outside the penalty area.

As the game started to draw towards a conclusion the final effort of the game would come from the hosts as Jordaan Brown whistled a 20-yard effort just wide of the upright.

Stourbridge: Wren, Green, Brown, Turton, Williams, Carter (Foster 46), Bellis, Grocott (Botfield 46), Landell (Taylor 64), Finn, Mills
Subs not used: Price, Winwood

Hednesford Town: Platt, Curley, Griffiths, Bailey, Morris, Scott (Gatter 83), Hallahan, Abadaki (Reid 87), Glover (B Wells 64), Elliott, K Wells
Subs not used: Ezewele, Truslove

Attendance: 588


Related Articles

Recent Posts