Tonight's Birmingham Senior Cup fixture at HOME against Romulus has been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.


Lutterworth Town 0-3 Hednesford Town

Saturday 07/09/2019

A late Kieran Wells hat-trick sees the Pitmen through to the next round.

The Pitmen travelled to Leicestershire to take on Lutterworth Town in the FA Cup First Round Qualifying, looking to put last week’s disappointing league defeat at the hands of Needham Market behind them.

A competitive opening to the game saw the first chance fall to the home side when James Hurst brought down Jordan Small, earning the Pitmen right back a yellow card. The subsequent free kick cannoned off the defensive wall for a corner.

At the other end Hurst’s cross evaded Kieran Wells before falling to Sam Griffiths who saw his goal bound effort charged down. Another chance came the way of the Pitmen striker when Wells found himself through on Warren Butlin in the Swifts’ goal, his shot beating the keeper but was cleared in front of the goal line by a home defender.

Kris Scott came close to breaking the deadlock narrowly heading over a delivery from Wells. The visitors were living dangerously when Lutterworth’s pacy forward Small played an inviting ball across the face of Daniel Platt’s goal on forty minutes. The last chance of the half fell to the Pitmen, when Tom Elliott drove forward playing in Scott who was thwarted by the right post.

HT 0-0 

The Pitmen began to pile on the pressure in the second half against a resolute home defence, who worked tirelessly to keep the visitors at bay. Butlin commanded his area well, taking the ball off Wells’ head from an incoming free kick, before the same player headed wide from Hurst’s cross. The Swifts’ keeper also making a good save from Danny Glover to keep the scores level.

On 67 minutes, manager Gary Hayward made a decisive double substitution bringing Osebi Abadaki and Matt Curley into the action. A minute later, the substitutes combined on the right hand side to set Kieran Wells up, who drilled home from close range.

The Swifts nearly scored a quick equaliser when Marshal Keenan found himself through on goal and with Platt beaten, a last ditch goal line clearance from Sam Griffiths preserved the Pitmen’s lead.

Abadaki continued to torment the home defence and it was his assist that put the result beyond doubt in the 82nd minute, accurately delivering the ball for Wells to finish with a header at the far post.

Kieran Wells completed his hat-trick and claimed the match ball shortly before the final whistle heading into the net from close range a cross from substitute Brad Wells. The third goal put the gloss on a professional performance by Hednesford against a Lutterworth side who were determined to take something from the game.

Lutterworth Town; Butlin, Riley, Samuels, Warren (Clarke 84), Peace, Cooper, Tyers, Johnson, (Roberts 63), Keenan, Small, Adams. Subs not used; Leslie, Lewis, Allen, Parish, Smith

Hednesford Town; Platt, Hurst (Curley 67) Griffiths, Bailey, Morris, Elliott, Scott, Glover (Abadaki 67), Fry (B Wells 78), K Wells. Subs not used; Truslove, Gatter, Reid, Veiga

Attendance 309


Related Articles

Recent Posts