Hednesford Town 1-1 Biggleswade Town

Saturday 28/08/2021

A minute’s applause was observed prior to kick off in honour of Hednesford Town’s much loved and respected groundsman David Bates, who sadly passed away last week. David will be remembered not only for his expertise but also his wonderful dry humour, he will be greatly missed by all.

The Pitmen were looking to extend their winning streak in the league to four games against a Biggleswade Town side who had gained a draw, win and loss during their opening league games. Hednesford controlled the first half with their now trademark possession game, but struggled to unlock the Waders’ defence. George Cater and Carter Lycett caused problems down each wing, while the linesman’s flag thwarted Andre Brown and Cater. A thunderous effort from Reece Flanagan was well saved by Jake Alley. The Waders’ threatened occasionally but failed to capitalise on a couple of incidences of careless Pitmen defending.
HT 0-0
The Pitmen started the second half with purpose and with the tireless Brown leading the line, looked the most likely to break the deadlock. The visitors were fortunate to keep eleven players on the pitch, when the already booked Sam Squire clattered into Lewis Ison, referee Stuart Kane opting not to produce a second yellow card after much consideration. Hednesford had to wait until the 71st minute to take the lead when Ison headed home from a corner. Hednesford should have extended their lead and put the game to bed with Cater blasting wide from an excellent position, before Alley saved from substitute Callam King-Harmes in a one-on-one situation.
The Waders earned an unlikely draw when a ball from the left was flicked on into a packed box, allowing Shane Bush the opportunity to stroke home the equaliser in the 92nd minute.
After the game Keenen Meakin-Richards commented; “I have never seen such a one sided game, but if we are to push for promotion we need to be scoring those goals, the one-on-ones and the open goal. After our goal there were a number of chances that should have put us three or four goals up. We dominated a game of football but we were not clinical or ruthless.”
Hednesford Town; Wycherley, Webb (King-Harmes 68), Pryce, Bailey (Chambers 63), Rowley, Ison, Cater, Parker, Brown, Flanagan (Landell 46), Lycett. Subs not used Hanna, Williams.
Biggleswade Town; Alley, Shaw, Ferrell, Peters, Hall, Clayton (Egole 70, Payne 89), Squire, Neal, McKenzie, Muyembe. Subs not used Hill, Howe, Purse
Attendance 552


Related Articles

Recent Posts