Tonight's Birmingham Senior Cup fixture at HOME against Romulus has been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.


Stourbridge FC 1-2 Hednesford Town

Tuesday 16/08/2016

Hednesford Town again came from behind to claim all three points thanks to two excellent strikes, the second of which came four minutes into added time at the end of the game.

Manager Liam McDonald had been forced into making two changes to his starting line-up from that which began against Spennymoor Town on Saturday, with both Lewis Wright and Francino Francis being sidelined by injury. Rhys Thompson and Cohen Bramall came into the side along with skipper Tom Thorley who replaced Michael McGrath.

It was the visitors who made the better start with Simeon Maye seeing a 20 yard dipping effort tipped away for a corner. Tristian Dunkley then saw his scrambled effort hit the post in the fourth minute as the Pitmen pushed for an opener.

Despite controlling the opening quarter of play, Hednesford fell behind in the 15th minute. Luke Benbow managed to find some space in the box and after seeing one shot blocked he slid the ball across to Kayelden Brown who scored unto an unguarded net from six yards.

A minute later Benbow fired wide from the edge of the box when well placed while at the other end a deep Dunkley cross picked out Ashley Sammons, but his ball back in was just short of an unmarked Maye.

Then out of nowhere, the Pitmen dragged themselves level in the 33rd minute thanks to an excellent strike from Dunkley. After a ball forward fell to the front-man, he rasped an unstoppable effort into the bottom corner from 20 yards.

The Pitmen almost edged ahead just before the break but Thorley saw his low shot blocked behind for a corner.

Twelve minutes into the second half Hednesford suffered another injury blow as Dunkley was forced off after picking up a knock.

The second half was proving to be a much more even affair with the visitors seeing off a couple of free-kicks that had been won by the lively Chris Lait, while at the other end Sammons saw an effort saved in the 64th minute.

In the 75th minute Hednesford goalkeeper Dan Crane was forced into a low smart save after a shot from Benbow was deflected in the opposite direction to which it was originally travelling.

As the game entered stoppage time both sides continue to press for a goal that would earn them all three points, and in the end it would be the Pitmen who found it with almost the last meaningful action of the game.

Bramall, who had once again caused problems down the left-hand side, managed to find space to pick out the perfect cross to Carline who exquisitely half-volleyed home from 12 yards out in the fourth minute of stoppage time.

The goal was greeted with joy all across the Hednesford end of the ground with the visitors bench exploding onto the pitch as the Pitmen continued their 100 per cent start to the season.

Stourbridge: Gould, Green (Heath 74), Probert (Canavan 73), Tonks, Hull, Scarr, Birch, Broadhurst, Benbow (Hague 89), Lait Brown

Subs not used: Adams

Hednesford Town: Crane, Thompson, Bramall, Thorley, Mutton, Flanagan, Maye, Geddes (Singh 78), Dunkley (Glover 57), Sammons (McGrath 63), Carline

Subs not used: Ransome, Francis

Attendance: 772

Star Man: George Carline

Entertainment Rating: Four Stars


Related Articles

Recent Posts