Tonight's Birmingham Senior Cup fixture at HOME against Romulus has been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.


Marine 3-0 Hednesford Town

Sunday 16/04/2017

Hednesford Town fell to a disappointing defeat against a Marine side that were looking to earn three points in order to secure their place at this level for another season.

It was the Pitmen who started the better of the two sides and after George Cater had seen an effort blocked, Desean Martin fired the follow up inches over the crossbar in the fourth minute.

Despite this, a poor defensive moment would see Hednesford fall behind in the seventh minute when a free kick into the Town box was nodded down to an unmarked Danny Mitchley who was able to fire home past Lloyd Ransome.

The game was very much end-to-end with Louis Danquah heading wide at the far post for the Pitmen before Alfons Fosu-Mensah fired an effort over the bar for Marine in the 26th minute.

In the space of five first half minutes George Washbourne and Danny Glover both created half chances for themselves without testing Paul Phillips in the Marine goal.

Five minutes before half-time Ransome claimed a free kick hit from 25 yards out before the half was ended by Stuart McNaught blazing an effort well over the bar for Hednesford.

HT: 1-0

The start of the second period saw Ransome forging a one man crusade against the home side as he kept out three goalbound efforts in the space of a matter of minutes.

After riding this storm Hednesford started to control possession and Danquah tested Phillips with a stinging shot that was turned over the crossbar in the 56th minute.

The Pitmen continued to move the ball forwards without really testing the opposition back line, despite adding extra firepower to the frontline.

Just when it looked like Hednesford may force a final push in the last ten minutes, the home side sprang to life to add a second in the 80th minute when a low shot from Luke Wall deceived Ransome and found the back of the net.

Two minutes later Town almost found a way back into the game as Glover fired in a free kick that was stopped on the line by Phillips.

However things would go from bad to worse for the visitors as Marine extended their lead in the last minute of normal time when Matty Hamilton turned the ball past Blake Thompson and fired home beyond Ransome.

The Pitmen goalkeeper was in action again in stoppage time to turn away another effort before the final whistle was blown.

Marine: Phillips, Kisimba, Short, Hughes, Wylie, Brewster, Da Silva, Strickland, Mitchley, Fosu-Mensah, Menagh
Subs: Wall, Foy, Hamilton, Shacklock, Foley

Hednesford Town: Crane, Wright, Danquah, McNaught, Thompson, Ballinger Cater (Nesbitt 62), Fitzpatrick (Nadat 72), Glover, Martin, Washbourne (Clarke 46)
Subs not used: Crane, Robinson

Attendance: 383

Star Man: Louis Danquah

Entertainment Rating: Two Stars


Related Articles

Recent Posts