Tonight's Birmingham Senior Cup fixture at HOME against Romulus has been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.


Coalville Town 5-2 Hednesford Town

Wednesday 13/09/2017

Hednesford Town came back to earth with a bump after suffering a heavy defeat on the road at Coalville Town.

The Pitmen were once again without Devarn Green due to injury, while Luke Rodgers missed out on the trip due to knock picked up on Saturday. Jimmy Mutton did return to the squad but was only fit enough for the bench. However, one of the biggest disappointments of the night was the lack of appearance by Lewis Wright who informed a club official through Facebook Messenger he was leaving the club just an hour before kick-off.

The home side went ahead in the eighth minute when Steve Towers fired in a shot from 30 yards which gave Hednesford goalkeeper James Wren no chance as it found the top corner.

Rob Smith’s side didn’t let their heads drop though and pushed the home team back towards their own goal over the course of the next 15 minutes without managing to find a way through, despite Danny Glover and Tyler Lyttle both going close.

It was 2-0 though in the 23rd minute when the ball went all the way across the Hednesford box and Nat Watson fired home from close range at the far post.

On the half hour mark Hednesford were denied a goal back through a superb save from Matt Coton in the Coalville goal as he tipped Joe Ballinger’s header over the crossbar.

The Pitmen were back in it in the 32nd minute though when Danny Glover was fouled in the penalty area and the striker picked himself up to fire home from 12 yards.

That good work was undone six minutes later when a low ball in was turned into his own net by Sam Oji to extend Coalville’s lead.

HT: 3-1

Just when the Pitmen needed a good start to the second half they conceded a fourth goal in the 49th minute as Daniel Creaney was allowed all the time he wanted to control the ball and fire home into the net from 12 yards.

Three minutes later it was 5-1 as a free-kick into the Pitmen box found an unmarked Creaney who headed home at the back post.

The Pitmen didn’t let their heads drop despite the score line as they continued to push forward with Glover, Alex Melbourne and the lively Checkaine Steele all going close to reducing the deficit.

Glover went close again in the 75th minute as he fired a shot over the bar before Ben Bailey saw a header easily saved by Coton.

At the other end Massiah McDonald saw a shot find the side netting through two Pitmen deflections.

It would be Hednesford who would have the last word though when in the final minute of stoppage time James Lawrie picked out Danny Glover to head home at the far post.

Coalville Town: Coton, Bryant, Taylor, Jenno, Freeman, Towers, McGlinchey, Hollis, Creaney (Pegg 76), Watson (McDonald 75), Anderson (Bassett 66)
Subs not used: Pick, Hannis

Hednesford Town:
Wren, Lyttle, Ballinger, Bailey, Oji, Fitzpatrick (Levingston 67), Lawrie, Thorley, Glover, Nadat (Steele 67), Martin (Melbourne 46)
Sub not used: Mutton

Attendance: 217



Related Articles

Recent Posts