Tonight's Birmingham Senior Cup fixture at HOME against Romulus has been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.


Nantwich Town 1-5 Hednesford Town

Sunday 07/01/2018

An unstoppable five-star second half showing from Hednesford Town saw them blitz hosts Nantwich Town to record their fourth straight league victory and move within one point of the top five.

Manager Rob Smith went with the same team for the third game running, with him also able to welcome defender Ben Bailey back into the squad after he had missed the last three games through injury.

The game got off to a slow start but the Pitmen’s Sam Oji had to react quickly to deny Steve Jones in the 17th minute as the striker fired an effort towards goal from inside the penalty area.

Two minutes later a long ball down the middle found Hednesford’s James Fitzgibbon but his effort from the edge of the box was saved.

In the 25th minute the Pitmen’s Mason Walsh turned his marker inside out before flashing an effort inches wide of the post while four minutes later Joey Butlin lifted an effort over the crossbar for the visitors.

Hednesford continued to press and Joe Fitzpatrick saw an effort saved before the hosts picked up on a wayward ball and only a superb last ditch stop from Pitmen goalkeeper James Wren denied Sean Cooke a chance of opening the scoring in the 37th minute.

Four minutes later the hosts were awarded a penalty when Charlie Gatter was adjudged to have fouled Jones and Harry Clayton stepped up to powerfully fire his side into the lead.

Wren was forced into action again in first half stoppage time as he ensured Hednesford went in only one behind.

HT: 1-0

Five minutes into the second half Hednesford were unfortunate not to be level when Walsh saw his effort cleared off the line after a corner had caused problems for the hosts.

The Pitmen would equalise in the 55th minute though when Butlin was adjudged to have been fouled inside the penalty area and James Lawrie sent Krystian Burzynski the wrong way from the spot.

Three minutes later and Hednesford were in front as Lawrie played a free kick into the Nantwich box and defender Callam Mendez-Jones powerfully fired home from six yards.

Nantwich were reduced to ten men in the 61st minute when Joel Stair was given his marching orders for questioning the officials one too many times.

The Pitmen were now well on top and a third goal arrived in the 74th minute as Walsh found James Lawrie who fired a wonderful effort into the top corner of the net from the edge of the penalty area.

Six minutes later Hednesford added a fourth as captain Tom Thorley closed down goalkeeper Burzynski and stole the ball off him before rolling it home from 18 yards.

A rampant performance from Rob Smith’s men was completed in the 86th minute when Walsh played a crossfield ball to Jordan Graham and his lay-back found Danny Glover who swept the ball into the corner of the goal.

Hednesford almost added a sixth goal in stoppage time as a neat ball into the box found its way to Glover but his low effort was saved.

The Pitmen now take a break from league action as they host Lichfield City at Keys Park on Tuesday in the Staffordshire Senior Cup.

Nantwich Town: Burzynski, Morgan, Wildin, Stair, Bourne, Hall (Cotterell 70), Hughes, Bell, Clayton, Cooke, Cole (Jones 7 (Mwasile 66))
Subs not used: Phillips, Forbes

Hednesford Town: Wren, Mendez-Jones, Curley, Fitzpatrick, Oji (Bailey 77), Gatter, Walsh, Thorley, Butlin (Glover 67), Lawrie, Fitzgibbon (Graham 81)
Subs not used: King, Mutton

Attendance: 404



Related Articles

Recent Posts