Tonight's Birmingham Senior Cup fixture at HOME against Romulus has been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.


Hednesford Town 1-2 Buxton

Friday 06/04/2018

Hednesford Town saw their winless run in the league extended to four matches after this defeat to Buxton.

It was the Pitmen who started the game very much on the front foot and they would take the lead in the eighth minute as Ben Bailey was able to fire the ball into the net for his second goal of the season after a corner into the opposition box wasn’t cleared.

Just 60 seconds later the visitors almost drew themselves level when Brad Grayson fired in a shot just over the crossbar after a freekick found its way into the penalty area.

Buxton would equalise though in the 22nd minute after a cross into the box wasn’t dealt with by the Pitmen backline leaving Jack Broadhead with the simple chance to level the scores with a low strike from ten yards.

Two minutes later Wren was forced into a smart save from Anthony Wilson before Buxton’s Jude Oyibo was denied ten minutes before the interval after a neat move by the visitors.

Five minutes before the break the Pitmen’s Joey Butlin had a great chance to put his side back ahead only to see his shot saved for a corner.

The visitors would edge ahead in the 56th minute when Wilson broke the offside trap, despite appeals from the home side, and although his initial effort was saved the follow up found its way back to the striker who finished into the net.

In the 68th minute Buxton should really have extended the lead – only for Liam Hardy to see his effort hit the post thanks to a slightest of touches from Wren.

This almost proved costly as two minutes later James Lawrie saw a shot cleared off the line as the Pitmen pressed for an equaliser. From the resultant corner a first time volley from Bailey flew inches wide of the post.

In the 76th minute a Pitmen freekick into the penalty area picked out Reece King who volleyed a shot into the side netting – while minutes later the visitors broke and Oyibo flashed an effort right across the goal and out for a goalkick.

The final ten minutes of the game saw Town pushing hard on the visitors backline – however their task to gain a second goal wasn’t helped in stoppage time when Bailey was sent off for an off the ball incident, with the fulltime whistle sounding soon afterwards.

Hednesford Town: Wren, Mendez-Jones, Campion, Bailey, Gatter, King, Fitzpatrick, Thorley (Rea), Butlin, Lawrie, Dwyer (Glover)

Subs not used: Oji, Harris, Veiga

Buxton: Budtz, Meade, McWilliams (De Girolamo), Baker, Young, Ravenhill, Doran (Hinsley), Broadhead, Wilson (Hardy), Grayson, Oyibo

Subs not used: Taylor, Biggs

Attendance: 277


Related Articles

Recent Posts