Tonight's Birmingham Senior Cup fixture at HOME against Romulus has been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.


Hednesford Town 4-0 Nuneaton Town

Friday 27/04/2018

The Pitmen made a swift return to Keys Park to play Nuneaton Town with a place in the Birmingham Senior Cup Final for the winners.

The Pitmen started brightly and took an early lead when Tom Thorley, playing at right back, got to the byline and sent in a cross which Danny Glover finished smartly, driving his shot past Lyness in the Nuneaton goal.

The visitors struggled during the opening stages with Adil Nabi blazing over the crossbar during a rare foray into the home side’s half.

Anthony Dwyer was asking questions of the Nuneaton defence with some dangerous wing play on the right, but it was a ball delivered from the left by Reece King that Steele headed into his own net to extend the Pitmen’s lead in the 27th minute.

Hednesford looked to further their lead before half time with Glover going close at the near post from a Dwyer cross. The next chance fell to James Lawrie, forcing a save from Lyness after being played through by Glover.

HT 2-0

The Pitmen continued to knock on the door in search of a third goal. Joey Butlin went close with Charlie Gatter heading just over from the subsequent corner. Dwyer continued to torment the Nuneaton defence providing a cross which Glover rattled against the upright.

Minutes later Anthony Dwyer went one better finishing Thorley’s cross from the right.
It was Dwyer again finding himself in acres of space before setting Danny Glover up for a cool finish in the 65th minute to effectively end the game as a meaningful contest.

Jose Veiga came on for Lawrie, with James Wren changing into an out field shirt and playing up front for the last few minutes of theĀ  game. The Pitmen continued to dominate with the best chance falling to Wren who forced a save at full stretch from his fellow stopper Dean Lyness.

There would be no more goals as Hednesford put Tuesday night’s disappointment behind them, booking a place against Stourbridge in the final to be played at St Andrews on May 8th.

Hednesford Town: Wren, Thorley, Mendez-Jones, Bailey, Gatter, Rea (Harris 58), Dwyer, King, (Fitzpatrick 68) , Butlin, Glover, Lawrie (Veiga 76)
Sub not used: Fitzgibbon

Nuneaton: Lyness, Casey, Steele (Richmond 62) , Elliott, Wildin, Edobor, Adams, Checlasz, Wright, Nabi, Mitchell (Blackham 85)
Sub not used: Flack

Attendance: 147


Related Articles

Recent Posts