Tonight's Birmingham Senior Cup fixture at HOME against Romulus has been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.


Witton Albion 3-0 Hednesford Town

Sunday 01/04/2018

Any lingering hopes that Hednesford Town had of a late push for the play-offs were virtually extinguished following this loss against another side chasing the top five in Witton Albion.

Struggling with injuries the Pitmen were only able to name four players on the bench – however it was the visitors who started the better with Tom Thorley sweeping home a cross after two minutes only to be denied by the offside flag.

Five minutes later the hosts were in front though as a ball into the Town box wasn’t cleared and Rob Hopley fired in a right footed effort which found the back of the net from 10 yards.

The hosts were now on top and Town goalkeeper James Wren was forced into a smart save from Tom Owens three minutes later before the shot stopper denied Will Jones after he rose highest to head the ball goalwards at the far post.

A second goal would arrive for Albion in the 20th minute though when they were awarded a penalty which Steven Tames calmly placed into the top right hand corner of the goal.

In reply although Hednesford had plenty of the ball they forced little in the terms of chances with Joe Fitzpatrick being the closest but neither of his shots tested Calvin Hare in the home goal.

Two minutes before the halftime break Wren had to react quickly to claim a looping effort from Owens.

HT: 2-0

The Pitmen were forced into a halftime substitute with Matt Curley being forced off with a foot injury that saw him leave the ground on crutches.

Hednesford started the second half on the front foot and almost reduced the arrears two minutes into it as Danny Glover produced a great overhead kick which went inches wide of the upright.

In the 55th minute Ben Bailey had to react quickest to clear a ball away right in front of his own goal after Tames did well down the left.

Four minutes later there was a lengthy stoppage in play as Glover and Hare clashed with the Pitmen striker eventually being forced off with a back injury.

In the 64th minute Fitzpatrick saw a goal-bound effort cleared away as Hednesford continued to press for a way back into the game.

However they were nearly caught out in the 70th minute only for Wren to make a smart save to deny Hopley as the striker looked to put the game beyond the Pitmen.

Although Hednesford continued to see plenty of possession they didn’t really test Hare too much in the opposing goal – with the final ball lacking that killer pass.

It would be Witton who would strike next though when Hopley rose highest to head the ball into the bottom corner in the 83rd minute and end the game as a contest.

A minute later Hednesford should have reduced the arrears when Jim Lawrie stole the ball off Hare but on the stretch he could only shoot wide.

The last chance of the game would arrive in the 87th minute when Anthony Dwyer fired in an effort from 25 yards that went inches wide of the upright.

The Pitmen must now pick themselves up for the Easter Monday game against Rushall Olympic at Keys Park.

Witton Albion: Hare, Gardner, McKenna, Humphreys, Wilson, Foley, Lingouba (Ryan 80), Owens (Williams 86), Hopley, Jones (Evans 72), Tames
Subs not used: Devine, Neild

Hednesford Town: Wren, Mendez-Jones, Curley (Butlin 46), Bailey, Gatter, Rea (Harris 77), Dwyer, Fitzpatrick, Glover (King 72), Thorley, Lawrie
Subs not used: Veiga

Attendance: 294


Related Articles

Recent Posts