Tonight's Birmingham Senior Cup fixture at HOME against Romulus has been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.


Farsley Celtic 1-2 Hednesford Town

Tuesday 28/08/2018

A goal three minutes from the end of normal time saw Hednesford Town claim their second away victory on the spin as they ended Farsley Celtic’s unbeaten start to the season.
Although much of the ball started the game in the Hednesford half the hosts had little in terms of clear cut chances – with Pitmen shot stopper Josef Bursik holding onto a long range effort from Will Hayhust in the 11th minute being the closest they would come.
Two minutes later a Jermain Hollis header was easily claimed before Bursik saved an effort from the hosts’ Danny Ellis.
As the half wore on Hednesford came more into the game and almost opened the scoring in the 21st minute as a corner was played short to Joe Fitzpatrick who found Charlie Gatter but the defender fired narrowly wide of the upright.
Three minutes later a Dan Cockerline header was easily saved before a terrific save from Farsley goalkeeper Ed Hall denied Pitmen skipper Stefan Galinski after he had risen highest from a free kick.
In the 34th minute Bursik would match that as a long range effort from Ryan Watson was turned over the crossbar before the keeper made a comfortable save from the same player’s free kick in the 42nd minute.
HT: 0-0
It would be the Pitmen that would take the lead just 60 seconds into the second half when Jed Davies took aim from all of 35 yards – seeing the ball fly over Hall and into the net for a ‘goal of the season’ contender.
The midfielder was now running the game and in the 49th minute a jinking run saw a shot go well wide before he picked out Gatter from a corner two minutes later but the defender headed wide.
Hednesford had a let off in the 53rd minute when Paul Walker found Hayhurst but he couldn’t convert from 10 yards out.
Eight minutes later Bursik was in the action again as he kept out an effort from Watson before Davies fired over the bar from the edge of the penalty area after Hednesford had broke forward.
The home side went close again in the 72nd minute when first Galinski made a fine headed block before Matt Curley headed another effort over the crossbar when on the line.
Hednesford had a chance to double their lead in the 76th minute but Cockerline headed wide.
This proved crucial as a minute later the home side were awarded a penalty when Curley fouled Nathan Turner in the area. Up stepped Hayhurst who sent Bursik the wrong way to level the scores.
The home side almost went ahead in the 84th minute when Hayhurst fired in a free kick but Bursik was able to touch the ball to safety before being cleared away.
Three minutes later Hednesford struck the winner when a scramble in the penalty area saw the ball fall to Jermain Hollis who fired into the back of the net from 12 yards – much to the delight of the travelling support.
Hednesford managed to see out three minutes of stoppage time in order to return to winning ways ahead of the long trip to Whitby Town on Saturday.
Farsley Celtic: Hall, Turner, Baldwin, Higgins, Ellis, Atkinson, Watson, Turner, Walker (Atkinson 75), Cartman, Hayhurst
Subs not used: Bower, Hill, Bett
Hednesford Town: Bursik, Mendez-Jones, Fitzpatrick (Edge 74), Hollis, Galinski, Gatter, Howard (Dodd 85), Curley, Cockerline, Davies (Grimshaw 90), Fox
Subs not used: Turner, Craddock
Attendance: 345


Related Articles

Recent Posts