Tonight's Birmingham Senior Cup fixture at HOME against Romulus has been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.


AFC Mansfield 1-1 Hednesford Town

Sunday 28/10/2018

Hednesford Town and AFC Mansfield will have to do it all over again at Keys Park after a second half goal from the lower league hosts saw them earn a replay in this FA Trophy First Qualifying Round.

The injury hit Pitmen made the perfect possible start to the game when they took the lead in just the sixth minute when Sam Griffiths rose highest to head home from a corner.

Five minutes later Hednesford had a narrow escape when the ball wasn’t cleared in the box but Pat Lindley dragged his effort wide of the upright.

Mansfield would go even closer in the 22nd minute as the ball broke inside the penalty area to Brad Wells but his effort struck the upright and rebounded away to safety.

Some nice football from Hednesford in the 36th minute led to a chance for Dan Sweeney as he worked himself half a yard of space before firing an effort across the goal that evaded everyone.

Right on the stroke of halftime Sweeney had another close effort after breaking onto a loose ball but his effort went wide of the upright.

HT: 0-1

Two minutes into the second half Hednesford were grateful to goalkeeper Josef Bursik as he saved a low effort at the near post from Kieran Wells.

The hosts would level though in the 58th minute when a cross in from the right was met by Philip Buxton who glanced a header into the top corner of the net.

Mansfield were now well on top and had another chance three minutes later when a ball over the top found Jimmy Ghaichem but he dragged his effort wide from just inside the box.

Brad Wells would fire in an effort just wide of the goal in the 69th minute while the Pitmen really struggled to produce anything of note at the other end.

Hednesford came close to winning it in the 84th minute as Lewis Archer twisted a defender inside and out before firing in an effort that hit the post, with Callum Coyle’s low cross in evading everyone.

The home side were reduced to ten men two minutes from full time when Jack Broadhead was dismissed for a second booking after bringing down Archer on the edge of the box.

Despite four additional minutes neither side was able to find a winner and so will both have to go again at Keys Park to see who will progress into the second qualifying round.

AFC Mansfield: White, Marsden, Dudley, D’Laryea, Annable, Broadhead, Ghaichem, Buxton, K Wells, Lindley, B Wells
Subs not used: Guest, Dear, Wall, Burton, Dawes

Hednesford Town: Bursik, Curley, Fox, Fitzpatrick, Mendez-Jones, Griffiths, King, Craddock, Archer, Sweeney, Coyle (Howard 83)
Subs not used: Veiga, Francis, Cockerline, Howard, Grimshaw

Attendance: 106


Related Articles

Recent Posts