Hednesford Town 1-1 Barwell

Sunday 12/09/2021

Hednesford Town looked to extend their unbeaten run in the league and strengthen their position in the upper reaches of the division, following the disappointment of Tuesday night’s FA Cup replay defeat at Cleethorpes Town. With Gibraltar International Reece Styche back in the Pitmen fold following his midweek scoring exploits against Norway and recent signings Chay Tilt and Niall Rooney also in the squad, the hosts hoped to get back to winning ways. Barwell had not won since beating Lowestoft Town on the opening day of the season and were in a run of form that had seen them exit from both the FA Cup and League Trophy. The Canaries squad was boosted by the signing of defender Tyreace Brown from Romulus.

The hosts got off to a shakey start when former Pitman Tristan Dunkley charged down a clearance before missing an open goal. Hednesford Town continued to make life difficult for themselves and allowed Dunkley to spring the offside trap and finish neatly past Andrew Wycherley in the 17th minute. A skirmish saw both Reece Styche and Tyreace Brown booked before Barwell’ s Isiah Bazely was shown yellow for hauling Styche down. Styche could have equalised before half time, forcing a fine save from Max Bramley, however the Canaries went into the break with the lead.
A change of formation with the introduction of Todd Parker and Carter Lycett saw the Pitmen control the second half with Chay Tilt moving out onto the right wing and Lycett on the left creating havoc for the visiting defence. Tilt’s cross narrowly evaded Styche at the far post, before Andre Landell’s snapshot attempt flew well over the crossbar. The Pitmen were knocking on the door with Styche heading inches over, before Carter shot wide. Landell forced a superb reaction save from Bramley as it looked like the Pitmen, frustrated by the game management of the visitors, would run out of steam. However, in the second minute of added time a deep pass into the area from Parker was flicked on, falling to Tilt who caught the ball sweetly on the half volley through a crowded box to score a well earned equaliser, triggering jubilant scenes at Keys Park.
After the game manager Keenen Meakin-Richards commented; “It was a hard earned point, we did not deserve the win because of the first half performance but we kept going a and I am happy with that. It was a superb goal from Chay who was a real threat all afternoon.”

Hednesford Town; Wycherley Rowley, Mendez-Jones, Richards (Rooney 71) Ison, Griffiths, Webb (Lycett 46), Flanagan (Parker 52), Styche, Landell, Tilt. Subs not used Morley, Wollaston
Barwell; Bramley, Stabana, Percival, Brown-Hill, Brown, Bazeley, Davidson-Miller, Edwards, Dunkley (Hickey 61), Powell, Abadaki (Carta 46). Subs; Castle, Walton, Stephens.
Attendance 405


Related Articles

Recent Posts