Tonight's Birmingham Senior Cup fixture at HOME against Romulus has been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.


Hitchin Town 1-2 Hednesford Town

Sunday 30/01/2022

Hednesford Town travelled south hoping to collect all three points against second from bottom Hitchin Town. Andre Landell replaced Chay Tilt in the side that beat Peterborough Sports 3-0 in their last league¬†game a week ago at Keys Park, while Joe O’Shaughnessy made his debut in goal, after recovering from illness. Hitchin Town were looking to get back to winning ways after last week’s 3-1 defeat at Needham Market.

The early action mostly took place in the visitor’s half, Steve Cawley hit the crossbar after nine minutes before Jake Hutchinson was booked for a dive in the penalty area. The Pitmen were saved again by the woodwork in the 15th minute, this time the post denied Cawley, as they struggled to maintain any possession. After a slow start Hednesford began to get into the game, Kyle Bennett forced a good low save from Charlie Horlock, and then rattled the bar from the subsequent corner. The Canaries took the lead in the 30th minute when Cawley got his reward, lifting the ball over O’Shaughnessy from Josh Coldicott-Stevens’ corner. On the stroke of halftime Andre Landell was tripped in the area and awarded a penalty, Horlock made a good save from Kyle Bennett to preserve Hitchin’s lead going into the break.
HT 1-0
After the break, George Cater made a promising run before delivering a good ball into the area for Riley O’Sullivan who saw his effort blocked. Canaries danger man Callum Stead hit the underside of the crossbar on the hour from a Coldicott-Stevens freekick. On the hour mark, the home side switched off in defence allowing Reece Flanagan to bring the ball down in the area and equalise with a great strike. Minutes later a clinical low drive from newly appointed vice captain Wes Atkinson gave the Pitmen the lead, turning the game on its head after 64 minutes.
O’Shaughnessy made a decent save from Stead as the Pitmen took control of the game. Jed Davies replaced Andre Landell before there was an extended break in play due to an injury to one of the assistant referees, the game eventually resumed with a supporter running the line. Stan Georgiou glanced a header wide as the home side searched for an equaliser, other than that the Pitmen were able to close the game out and take the spoils back to Keys Park.
After the game manager Keenen Meakin-Richards commented; “We were not brave enough in the first half, but we improved, stuck to our plan and won the game with two good goals. We rode our luck at times and were saved by the woodwork, but we also hit a post and had a decent penalty saved.”
Hitchin Town; Horlock, Green, Brown, Coldicott-Stevens, Moloney, Jones, Stead, Georgiou, Hutchinson, Cawley, Black. Subs not used; Dasilva, Ackom, Kinoshi, Taerle, Allotey.
Hednesford Town; O’Shaughnessy, Atkinson, Lycett (Armitage 90+1), Riley, Ison, Flanagan, Landell (Davies 77), Parker, O’Sullivan, Bennett (Webb 90+3), Cater. Subs not used; Richards, Williams.


Related Articles

Recent Posts