Tonight's Birmingham Senior Cup fixture at HOME against Romulus has been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.


Worcester City 1-4 Hednesford Town

Tuesday 01/09/2015

A fantastic free-flowing performance from Hednesford Town earned them a deserved three points from their trip to Aggborough on Bank Holiday Monday as they bounced back from Saturday’s defeat against FC United of Manchester in some style.

Hednesford started on the front foot and were unlucky not to take the lead in the fourth minute as Ahmed Obeng was denied by a good save from Daniel Lloyd-Weston in the home goal, before Nathan Modest saw his effort ruled out for a foul.

The quick start from the Pitmen was almost undone in the 19th minute as a cross into the box saw Dave Parton come too far and he just managed to claw the ball wide of the post.

A minute later Hednesford were ahead though, as a Ben Bailey free kick picked out Tom Thorley who headed home from the edge of the box past the prone Lloyd-Weston after the keeper had started to come for the ball.

The visitors continued to be on top and almost doubled their lead in the 29th minute only for Kyle Perry to spoon his effort over the bar before the big striker was unlucky not to open his account as he saw his scissor-kick palmed out off the line by Lloyd-Weston.

Hednesford’s continued pressure paid off in the 38th minute though as they doubled their lead when Modest broke down the left and his cross in found Obeng who fired home his first goal for the club from inside the box.

The home side started the second half with a number of corners but failed to really trouble Parton while Tom James dragged his effort wide of the far post after cutting inside.

It would, however, be Hednesford that would strike next as midfielder Sean Williams strode forward before firing home a peach of a goal via the upright six minutes into the second period.

Hednesford continued their pressure and added a fourth goal in the 64th minute when a corner was played short to Thorley and his whipped cross in was slotted home by Ben Bailey from just outside the six-yard box.

Although the visitors continued to press Worcester grabbed a consolation goal with nine minutes to go as a cross into the box found Sean Geddes and he fired into the net from 12 yards out despite Tyrone Williams almost clearing the effort off the line.

This gave the home side some hope but despite forcing a couple of corners they didn’t really test Parton and in the end the Pitmen played out time for a well-deserved victory.

The Pitmen now return to action on Saturday when Boston United visit Keys Park.

Worcester City: Lloyd-Weston, Minihan (Gudger 74), Weir, Elvins, Sharpe, Nash (Rowe 46), Nti, Deeney, Todorov, Geddes, Gater (Jackman 46)

Subs not used: Spencer, Morris

Hednesford Town: Parton, T Williams, James, Bailey, Tilt, Thorley, S Williams, Modest (Ennis 89), Perry, Obeng (Disney 82), Digie (Adams 73)

Subs not used: Robinson, Todd

Attendance: 576
Star Man: Tom Thorley
Entertainment Rating: Five Stars


Related Articles

Recent Posts